Junior runner reliable for team

Consistency is most recognizable trait for Burns as team enters crucial part of season

Heading into a crucial part of the season, the IU cross country team will look to one of it's most consistent performers for the last four meets of the season.\nThroughout his career junior Tom Burns has been one of the most reliable runners for the Hoosiers -- one his coach and fellow teammates can count on for a good race.\n"I think my best asset is my consistency," Burns said. "I don't really have that many bad races, and although I might not have the race of my life every meet, coach can always count on me to have a good, solid race."\nThe reason for this respect among his teammates has been his solid racing over the past two years. Burns redshirted his freshman year. His sophomore year he was in the Hoosiers top four in four of the five meets he ran. During his junior year Burns competed in every meet for the Hoosiers, placing in the top five in the last four and most important meets of the season. \n"He is so important to the team and definitely thought of as a leader by most of the guys," freshman Nick Kruse said. "I almost see him as a big brother figure, someone who makes the team better and more responsible just by being there."\nIn last year's NCAA Regional and NCAA Championships Burns chose the right time to run the best races of his life. The junior runner ran a career best time in the 10k at the Regional meet of 31:45, and proceeded to run his second best 10k time at the Championships. \n"His consistency is definitely what makes him so valuable to the team," sophomore Eric Redman said. "We can always depend on him for a good race, and even when other guys might sometimes have ups and downs during the season, we can always look to him for a solid performance."\nIn the last four meets of the 2002 season, Burns finished in the top five for the Hoosiers. \n"There is no glory in being the fourth or fifth man, but that is OK," Burns said. "There is no shame in what I do, I know that I am important to the team."\nSo far this year, Burns has been in the team's top five or six in every meet, with the big meets of the season still to come. The team will need Burns to stay consistent and will rely on him throughout the rest of the season. \nIU travels to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, this weekend to compete in the Pre-NCAA meet. \n-- Contact staff writer Alex Witteveld at pawittev@indiana.edu.