Hoosiers look to continue recent success

With only five games remaining in the season, the Hoosiers look to push their record past .500 for the first time all year, and hope to continue to push for a spot in the Big Ten tournament. The Hoosiers will face off against No. 20 Illinois Friday night and then host Northwestern Sunday afternoon. \nIllinois enters the weekend with a record of 9-2-1 (5-1-1 Big Ten), and boasts one the top goalies in the Big Ten. Junior Leisha Alcia, the goalkeeper for the Fighting Illini, has already recorded six shutouts this season, and has a goals against average of .610. The Illini's offense is no joke either, having scored 22 total goals this year, compared to the Hoosiers 15. IU coach Mick Lyon said the team expects to face off against a confident Illini squad.\n"They've found a way to put the ball in the back in the net and their back line and goalkeepers have been able to preserve wins for them with good defending and good saves," Lyon said. "I expect to see a team that will come in playing with a lot of confidence."\nThe Hoosiers come into the weekend 6-6-1 (3-3-1 Big Ten), due in large part to their last six games, where they went 4-1-1. Lyon said the team is excited about its recent success, and have had good practices all week despite some inclement weather. Lyon also said everyone on the team has been working hard and pushing each other to be able to play so well.\n"Right now, they're smoking. They're so hot," Lyon said. "There are so many players playing well. From the top player all the way down to the 18th and 19th players who are pushing for playing time. Everybody's up and happy and pumped about playing. It's awesome. I fully expect (to get) two wins this weekend."\nFreshman forward Carrie DeFreece agreed and said that she thinks the team has a lot of momentum.\n"I feel like we're on a role. I think we're all positive about it, and I think we'll pull out a win this weekend."\nNorthwestern poses another formidable challenge for the Hoosiers this weekend. The Wildcats come into Bloomington sporting a similar record to the Hoosiers at 6-6-1 (2-4-1 Big Ten). In order to win, the Hoosiers will have to shut down the Wildcats' top scoring threat Aileen Guiney, who has 10 points this season on three goals and four assists. Senior goalkeeper Shaunna Daugherty said this weekend is important for the team's Big Ten tournament hopes.\n"We're placed fourth right now in the Big Ten, and we went from seventh to fourth [after last weekend]," Daugherty said. "We could go back down just as easily. We're going to go out, play hard, and hopefully get a win or two."\nThe Hoosiers take on the Illini at 7 p.m. Friday night and face off against Northwestern Sunday at noon. Both games will be held at Bill Armstrong Stadium.