The Final Season

Legendary soccer coach Jerry Yeagley begins his final campaign after a memorable 31-year IU career

Winning and doing it the right way has been the mantra for legendary IU coach Jerry Yeagley in his three plus decades at IU. During uncertain times in the coaching ranks of all college sports with the scandals and off-the field negative distractions, Yeagley is part of an elite coaching class of clean records. Soon he will say goodbye to IU after 31 years at the helm of Hoosier soccer.\nThe name Yeagley has become synomynous with coaching greatness. Like Lombardi, Auerbach, and Wooden before him, statistically he is one of the greatest coaches of his sport and of his era. \nCase in point. Since soccer earned varsity status on the Bloomington campus in 1973 no team has won more NCAA Championships or appeared in more College Cups than IU.\nYeagley credits the talented players he has groomed at IU. He also explained why IU remains so dear to his heart. \n"There's no secret," Yeagley said. Good players make good coaches. The outstanding players we've had here have produced a successful program. At IU, every sport gets recognized. At some schools you have second-tier sports, but not here at IU. That's the reason I love IU so much." \nIn addition to his success on the field, Yeagley has had numerous players earn academic accolades.\nLast season, eight men's soccer student-athletes earned Academic All-Big Ten honors. \nAt the same time, Yeagley has earned his place in the record books and is quickly approaching the ultimate plateau.\nEntering the 2003 season, his 31st and last at IU before retiring, Yeagley needed 17 wins to tie Stephen Negoesco, who retired from San Francisco at the conclusion of the 2000 season. After the win over California last Friday, Yeagley needs 18 victories to become the all-time leader. \nHe is only the second coach in NCAA history to post 500 career wins, trailing only Negoesco, who recorded 544 victories in 39 seasons.\nYeagley said he doesn't focus on individual goals. This attitude has helped him win over his players with a team concept in a sport where teamwork is ideal. \n"I wouldn't have retired if that was my primary goal," Yeagley said. "The most impressive thing to me is our consistency. We've had a consistent level of excellence. Winning and all those numbers. It's unmatched. But we've done it with teamwork."\nHe has amassed 528 career victories and has been awarded National Coach-of-the-Year five times, the last time coming in 1999.\nHe has coached a multitude of players at IU, but his determination and discipline have never wavered. No one believes that more than his current players. \n"The discipline he's put his teams through has allowed him to have so much success," junior goalkeeper Jay Nolly said. "Our team is getting more disciplined. That discipline has let him gain the respect of his peers. People respect him." \nJunior midfielder Danny O'Rourke concurs with Nolly's assessment. He added that Yeagley's remarkable sense of the game and knowing when and where to put his players is fundamental. \n"He can look at players and put players in key roles," O'Rourke said. "His success is unbelievable. Just look at the tradition he's already had. You want to play for him."\nAll the while, Yeagley's eyes always remain squarely on the next opponent and what he wants his team to accomplish before the next match begins. \nYeagley said IU faces a tough road ahead this season, but he remains confident in his team, despite a challenging strength of schedule.\nHe said the Hoosiers plan a difficult schedule to help prepare them for the NCAA Tournament. He added other teams do not do that, but IU does and said the team's first six matches are very difficult.\nBefore the season started, IU players were eager to see what they could accomplish early in the season. As a result, a win and a tie in the adidas/IU Credit Union Classic allowed IU to prevail with the tournament championship, the first time they have won the event since 1998. The Hoosiers seemed to have solid chemistry in their first two matches.\n"I think it is very important for the team to find an identity right away," said junior forward Ned Grabavoy before the season began. "We lose a lot of size and athleticism from last year. We have very good skilled players, but I think the most important components will be team defense, and tactical awareness -- knowing where to be on the field and when. However, our goal is nothing less than last year, and the team has a positive outlook on competing for a national championship."\nIn addition, O'Rourke said he believes last weekend's tournament is a good measuring stick by which to judge the upcoming season.\n"The tournament (adidas/IU Credit Union Classic) we played in is the same caliber of teams that we will face during the season," O'Rourke said. "It lets us know where we stand."\nA plus to IU's schedule is the fact the conference tournament will be in Bloomington this year. IU has notched a 207-24-13 (.875) overall record at Armstrong Stadium, including going undefeated (6-0-2) at home last season.\nYeagley explained why it is so much easier at home. \n"It's always an advantage," Yeagley said. "Just look at our record at home. Not having to travel, having the crowd cheering for you at home, being in familiar territory. It's definitely a big advantage."\nYeagley said IU was able to obtain the conference tournament by default. Northwestern had planned on hosting the 2003 event, but since it is renovating its soccer stadium and that will not be completed, Armstrong Stadium was chosen as the alternate site. Meanwhile, Yeagley's coaching tenure is uncommon in this day and age. In his 30 plus years, he has led the Hoosiers to five NCAA titles, the second most in NCAA history and 15 trips to the College Cup. The 15 College Cups are the second-most ever, too. In fact, every player who has played at IU for four years has competed in at least one College Cup -- a statement that no other program can make.\nA long look at Yeagley's numbers tells the truth, but his humble demeanor and his work ethic are unrivaled. All a person needs to do is to observe Yeagley during a match. He sits there quietly on the bench, hardly speaking, all the while his brain is formulating new strategies and techniques to give his team a slight advantage. \nNolly said Yeagley's ability to recruit the best players in the country provides him with an edge on other programs and coaches as well.\nO'Rourke highlighted the special atmosphere surrounding Yeagley. He said everyone who talks to Yeagley said he's like a dad to them. O'Rourke added he creates a fun, family atmosphere and he's like a grandfather to his players by the manner in which he treats them. \nNolly echoed his teammate's sentiments and stressed the importance of respect.\n"He respects every single player that plays for him," Nolly said. "The respect is incredible. People just want to play harder for him. There's just a presence that makes you want to play harder everyday." \n-- Contact staff writer Zach Eldridge at zeldrig@indiana.edu.