Freshmen ready to lead the way

A few days before the soccer signing period, coach Mick Lyon said he was excited about this year's freshman class. The team had improved its record from 2001 and had a lot of players coming into the system. At the time, Lyon said it would be a great year for IU women's soccer.\nWhile the Hoosiers didn't find the instant success early this season, the past two games have helped give the team something to be excited about.\nThe current freshman class for the Hoosiers was ranked in the top 15 by SoccerAmerica.com and included 12 signees who now make up almost half the entire team. Senior midfielder and captain Emily Hotz said the team is optimistic about the freshman class.\n"The freshman class is really stepping up and living up to their rankings of the top 15 recruiting classes," Hotz said. "They add extra personality and spunk to our team, and they work really well with our team's chemistry."\nWhile the Hoosiers failed to score a goal in their first three games, the team has seen an offensive explosion in the last two. Leading the recent surge has been freshman defender Megan Pipkens, who scored the game winner against Army, and also scored an unassisted goal against Butler. Pipkens currently leads the team in points, having scored two goals and recorded an assist. Pipkens said she is happy to be a part of young team.\n"One of the main reasons I came to IU was because I thought it would be the greatest feeling to be part of a growing team," she said. "I want to put people in awe and make people's jaws drop because IU women's soccer has grown so much."\nNot everything is fun and games though. The day the class arrived at IU, it had to learn how to balance school and soccer while trying to save some extra time for social life. Pipkens said it's been hard trying to balance everything.\n"I think the hardest thing about playing a Division I sport is the time management thing," she said. "We always have to be somewhere, whether it be with the trainers, community service, informative lectures, or just homework. Sometimes I just want to watch television or just go meet people."\nFreshman midfielder Missy Vierling said the class has bonded well together in its short time at Indiana.\n"I couldn't have asked for a better class," Vierling said. "Everybody gets along so well and we have so many different personalities. It's fun."\nWhile the freshmen continue to adjust to life at IU, the rest of the team continues to be excited about having them. With 12 freshmen on the team, the Hoosiers appear to be set for the next few years. Hotz said the team is excited about what the freshmen can do for the team.\n"The future of Indiana soccer is in great hands with this freshman class," she said.\nThe Hoosiers are preparing for their Big Ten opener this weekend against Wisconsin, Friday, and Minnesota, Sunday.\n-Contact staff writer Cory Steger at csteger@indiana.edu.