After first win, IU awaits Wildcats

When freshman running back Ben Jarvus Green-Ellis scooted around left end for his second touchdown against Indiana State and his first 100-yard rushing day, sophomore left tackle Isaac Sowells and the rest of the offensive line could take pride in Green-Ellis' success.\nIt had been five games since the Hoosiers had a running back eclipse the century mark. Green-Ellis carried 20 times for 107 yards, and sophomore Chris Taylor countered with a performance of 20 carries for 90 yards. Taylor and fellow sophomore Yamar Washington both rushed for over 100 yards against Northwestern in 2002 the last time an IU running back accomplished the feat.\n"It was great," Sowells said. "The first thing according to coach (DiNardo) to be a good football team is to run the football and we did that ... He's a great player and hopefully we can block for him the best that we can. He's a talented player."

LoVecchio back in win column\nJunior quarterback Matt LoVecchio got his first win as an IU signal caller Saturday. It was LoVecchio's first win as a starter since a 38-21 victory over USC when he quarterbacked Notre Dame in 2000. LoVecchio finished 12-20 for 146 yards against Indiana State with no touchdowns or interceptions. \nLoVecchio said it's nice to get back in the win column.\n"Anytime you can win a football game with all the hard work and effort involved by the coaches and players, it's a great feeling," LoVecchio said. "But at the same time, it's just one game and we have to continue to work hard and progress and just get better throughout the rest of the season."

Wildcats come calling\nIU welcomes the Kentucky Wildcats to town Saturday for a game that is surely circled for the five Hoosiers who hail from the Bluegrass state. Juniors Chris Jahnke, Herana-Daze Jones, sophomore Isaac Sowells and freshman Adam Tingle all call Louisville home. Freshman Blake Powers is a native of Elizabethtown. \nSowells said it's a huge game.\n"All of my family is going to come up for it," Sowells said. "It's a big game for us. It's an opportunity to be 2-2, and the best way to do that is against my home state."\nThe 2003 renewal of the rivalry will be the first trip to Bloomington since the 2001 game that almost ended in a fight between the two ball clubs at the end of the game as students stormed the field following Antwaan Randle El's final win as an IU quarterback 26-15.\nWhen IU's defensive linemen look across the line of scrimmage Saturday, they might think they're facing a converted defensive lineman. Wildcat senior quarterback Jared Lorenzen tips the scales at 260 pounds while standing a stout 6-4.\nJunior Jodie Clemons, weighing in at 275 pounds, said it's going to be a war.\n"It's always fun to look back there and see a guy just as big as you," Clemons said. "It's going to be a battle. We're looking forward to the challenge. I know they are so get ready to see a battle."

Lewis held out\nDiNardo used only two running backs in Saturday's win, Green-Ellis and Taylor, after using a rotation of three in the first two games. The reason, however, was because senior tailback and captain Brian Lewis reinjured a knee he banged up in IU's loss at Washington. After practicing lightly Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Lewis told DiNardo he couldn't play Thursday.\n"He qualified to dress and he's our captain, so I didn't want to not take him to the hotel and not dress him," DiNardo said. "So, he dressed, but we were never going to play him (Saturday)."\nTaylor said he relished the opportunity to play more, but hopes Lewis will return soon.\n"I wanted to come out and do a little bit more," Taylor said. "But, we miss Brian and hopefully we'll be back next week."

The new field\nSaturday's game marked the debut of IU's brand new artificial turf field in the team's home opener. IU replaced the formerly natural surface over the summer with AstroPlay, a synthetic material that simulates the give of grass. Taylor said he enjoyed playing on it, and that it even improved his play.\n"I love the turf, it gives you more speed," Taylor said. "It's soft and it feels good to run on."\nIn addition to the surface, freshman strong safety Will Meyers said just being in front of the home crowd made a big difference. \n"It was a lot nicer (playing at home)," Meyers said. "The first game ... the crowd cheering was kind of like an extra wound. Having us make a play and the crowd cheer for us is exciting."\n-- Contact staff writers Gavin Lesnick or John Rodgers at glesnick@indiana.edu or jprodger@indiana.edu.