Hoosiers ready for last chance victory

Junior keeps team on its toes with her competitive spirit

Going into the Collegiate Water Polo Association's Eastern Division Championships, the Hoosier water polo team does not need much motivation, as it will get another and perhaps last chance of the season to beat rival Michigan.\nAlthough the team doesn't need much inspiration to beat the Wolverines after last weekend's 6-2 southern division loss, it got it nonetheless. When senior Jamie Marley was injured by a Michigan player, junior driver Melissa Pietras provided vocal leadership that helped everyone on the team stay focused.\n"Melissa has a really big competitive spirit," coach Barry King said. "Her attitude rubs off on the rest of the team and really helps all the players."\nIU has a weekend off before next weekend's tournament, and Pietras' vocal motivation might be needed to help the team stay on track until its first game.\n"I think I bring a lot of intensity to the team," Pietras said. "I am going to try and keep that intensity level high as we head into Easterns."\nThe Hoosier team is composed of six freshmen. Pietras' leadership rubs off on these young players.\n"She is always pushing everybody on the team to work harder," freshman Bridget McKeon said. "Her vocal intensity and leadership helps everybody stay focused and determined."\nAs well as her vocal leadership and intensity, Pietras has come into her own this season on offense.\n"With Easterns coming up we are looking to her to be one of her leading scorers," McKeon said. "She will lead the counterattack for us on offense."\nSo far this year Pietras is third on the team in scoring with 30 goals and second on the team in assists with 25. \n"She is the fastest player on the team, and she is great at pushing the counterattack from offense to defense," King said. "Going into the tournament, we are going to look to her to drive the counterattack, and put pressure on the other team."\nComing from Jennison High School in Hudsonville, Mich., Pietras has really improved her offensive game since her freshman and sophomore years. \n"She has really developed a great feel for the game," King said. "Her previous experience was to try and overpower in any situation but she has learned to use her speed and strength together, making her a better player."\nGoing into Easterns, Pietras' experience should help the Hoosiers, and Pietras said she is confident she can be a big factor.\n"I have become a main offensive threat this year, and I have learned to step up in big games," Pietras said. "I have gained more confidence, and I hope I can continue to be an offensive threat"