Purdue police seize computers in child porn investigation

University looks at 17 students for possible charges

WEST LAFAYETTE -- Purdue University police seized computers and electronic equipment from 17 students as part of a child-pornography investigation.\nPolice said Wednesday that no arrests had been made, and the investigation was continuing.\nOfficers received a warrant to search the on-campus rooms of 12 students Tuesday. Five additional students voluntarily turned over computer equipment, said Ronald Fosnaugh, a campus police captain.\nA preliminary investigation has turned up no apparent link among the 17 students, Fosnaugh said.\nInvestigators were interviewing students and examining the seized equipment to determine the extent of any illegal activities and find out whether any child pornography was widely distributed.\nAny students found to be involved in child pornography could face university sanctions as well as criminal charges, said L. Tony Hawkins, dean of students.\n"Even though we're talking about student-owned devices, that equipment still makes use of the university's network infrastructure for operations such as e-mail usage and Internet access," Hawkins said in a statement.\nInvestigators will turn over their findings to Tippecanoe County prosecutors, who will decide whether to file charges.\nUnder Indiana law, possession of child pornography is a Class D felony carrying punishment of up to three years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.