Divers to compete for NCAA marks

Regional tournament gives athletes chance to make championship meet

In the history of IU diving, nine Olympians have competed and teams have won six NCAA titles. This weekend, the cream and crimson divers begin their quest for a seventh title.\nTomorrow is the first step toward competing at the NCAA Championships, as the NCAA Regionals competition begins. At Regionals, divers must meet qualifying scores to be invited to the Championships. Hoosier seniors Sara Hildebrand, Lori Matthys and junior Cassandra Cardinell look to improve on an already outstanding 2002-2003 season.\nSetting the tone in performance and leadership this season for the Hoosiers has been standout Hildebrand. An NCAA All-American, Hildebrand competed at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia. The Minnesota native wrapped up her junior season by winning the Big Ten Championship on both the one-meter and three-meter events and subsequently was named IU's co-Female Athlete-of-the-Year.\nThis season, Hildebrand added multiple championships and honors to her resume. A four-time Big Ten Diver of the Week winner, Hildebrand won Big Ten Championships in all three diving events at the 2003 Big Ten Swimming and Diving Championships, helping the Hoosiers to their first ever team Big Ten Championship. \n"My ultimate goal at Big Tens was to win all three events," Hildebrand said. "I knew it was possible, and I used that goal as a stepping stone to prepare for NCAAs. Winning at Big Tens was just a reassurance that I can do well at NCAAs."\nAlso looking to dive her way into National Championship competition is Cardinell. At the 2002 U.S. Outdoor Nationals, Cardinell finished fifth on 10-meter and teamed with Hildebrand to win a synchronized platform event. Continuing to earn All-American honors at 2002 NCAA Championships, Cardinell finished fourth on platform and 16th in the 1-meter event by setting a school record with a score of 304.80.\nRounding out the Hoosier trio of divers is Matthys. This Iowa native and Academic All-Big Ten honoree looks to improve her 2002 showing at the NCAA Zone C Championships. Matthys placed 14th in the 1-meter event, 15th on 3-meter and ninth on platform.\nNCAA Regional Competition continues through Saturday. The Women's Swimming and Diving National Championships begin March 20 at Auburn University in Auburn, Ala.