Team prepares for month-long road trip

Hoosiers begin play today in New Mexico

About a month from today the IU softball team will play its first home game of the season. Until then, the Hoosiers will play in a season opening 20-game road trip, beginning Friday in Las Cruces, N.M. at the New Mexico State tournament when IU takes on the San Jose State Spartans.\nFriday's game also marks the debut of new coach Sara Hayes. \nThe Spartans are 1-3 on the year, but a pair of those losses came against a formidable opponent. The Spartans lost twice, including a 3-1 setback in their season opener, to California, last year's NCAA champions. IU has met SJSU only once, registering a 6-0 victory in 1989. The Spartans were scheduled to have already played five games before IU's opener, but rain delayed a Wednesday matchup with Santa Clara. Hayes said the Spartans' added games could have a negative impact on IU.\n"We do think it is a disadvantage that SJSU has already played five games before our game," coach Hayes said. "All Midwestern schools have that disadvantage, but it will even itself out by the second week."\nThe Hoosiers will also face Eastern Illinois Friday, a team IU owns a 27-13 record and a three game win streak against. Saturday, IU will play offensive powerhouse Marshall and top 25 contender Southwest Texas State. Sunday, IU will conclude the New Mexico State tournament by squaring off with Bowling Green. \nJunior left fielder Abby Stark said the tough competition in the tournament this weekend will provide the Hoosiers with valuable experience heading into the season and the always torturous Big Ten schedule.\n"We need to go out and do what we do best," Stark said. "It will allow us to see where we stack up, but mostly it will be a great learning experience.''\nSophomore Katie Witham, who was tied for first on the team last year with a 3.32 ERA and six victories, said IU needs to play with a team mentality to succeed this weekend. \n"We need to be able to play as a team," Witham said. "We must take everything we have practiced on for so long and just put it all together."\nIU owns a 30-15 all-time record against teams in the New Mexico State tournament, but Hayes said she knows that execution will be the key to success.\n"We have done a nice job as a staff preparing every situation," Hayes said. "It is about executing what we have taught them inside Mellencamp onto the field in Las Cruces"