on the SIDELINES

Hoosier named to Hall of Fame

IU women's soccer coach Mick Lyon is the newest addition to the University of Evansville's Athletic Hall of Fame. Lyon played for the Purple Aces and later became an assistant coach for the men's team and the first coach for the women's squad in the school's history.\n"I feel honored to receive such a distinction from Evansville," said Lyon. "I am proud of my accomplishments as both a player and coach and I am grateful to be inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame."\nLyon left UE in 2002 to become coach of the IU women's soccer team. In his first year, Lyon led the team to a 10-7-2 record and its first postseason appearance since 1998. \nThe UE Athletic Hall of Fame is in its 31st year and recognizes 172 members.\nThree squads head for tourney \nThe IU Pom and Cheerleading squads begin competition today in Orlando, Fla at the National Championships. IU is sending all three of their teams -- the co-ed Cream Squad, the all-women Crimson Squad and the Pom Squad -- for the first time in school history. \n"Coaching three teams to the national championships has been the biggest challenge in my 15 years of coaching," coach Julie Clements said in a statement. "For Indiana University it's huge, what this accomplishment says about our program. To send three teams to the national championships, that's a huge achievement, and I am thrilled for what it means to IU and this program."\nThe Cream Squad is making its first trip to the national championship in three years while the Crimson Squad returns to nationals for the second straight year after finishing fourth in 2002. The Pom squad were national runners-up last year.\nClements said she has high expectations for all three teams.\n"The teams believe in what they are doing and they believe they can do well. In my heart, I believe that they are going to do well," she said. "I will be happy with anything in the top five."\nHolmes is top offensive player\nPriest Holmes accomplished in 14 games what many players can't in two full seasons. His reward: The Associated Press NFL Offensive Player of the Year award.\nThe dynamic running back for the Kansas City Chiefs was on pace to shatter several NFL records before a deep hip bruise sidelined him for the final two games of 2002. Still, Holmes set 10 team records, including 1,615 yards rushing and 21 TDs. He also had three scores as a receiver, and the 24 TDs were two short of Marshall Faulk's league mark.