IU responds to Knight complaint, files response in circuit court

IU and former men's basketball coach Bob Knight are now in the discovery process of the continuing lawsuit concerning the University and the former coach after IU replied to Knight's complaint in the Monroe Circuit Court Dec. 23.\nThe University's reply to Knight's complaint states that it did not violate his contract when they chose to fire Knight after he violated IU's zero-tolerance policy.\nThe reply argues that Knight accepted his firing by the University when he received his remaining salary from his contract that expired last summer.\nThe discovery process, which is the first step in any litigation, involves requesting documents with regard to the history of the case. It is a standard process in any litigation, and the time it involves varies from case to case. \nKnight and his lawyers, Russell Yates of Denver and Jim Voyles of Indianapolis, filed a lawsuit against IU in November. The lawsuit alleges that the University violated his employment agreement when he was fired. It also argues that Knight was fired without a proper meeting of the IU board of trustees and without a chance to defend himself.\nKnight said he lost in excess of $2 million in media and shoe contracts, camps and endorsements.\nThe University could have chosen to avoid paying the remainder of Knight's salary if it had fired him with cause, but it chose not to do so.\nIndianapolis attorney David Mattingly wrote that Knight's close association with IU was "a source of both pride and, regretfully at times, embarrassment." Knight was fired in September 2000 for violating a zero tolerance policy.\nBoth sides are now making requests for information that will be used in parts of the case.\n"We're going to continue to aggressively defend our position that Mr. Knight is not entitled to any additional compensation," said IU spokeswoman Jane Jankowski.\nKnight was hired as men's basketball coach at Texas Tech six months after being fired from IU. \nThe University's legal counsel was required to follow an answer to Knight's complaint. There will be no hearings concerning the lawsuit until the discovery process is complete.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.