New role, old habits for Moye

Multi-faceted player still a fan favorite

Junior guard/forward A.J. Moye hadn't even made an appearance in last Saturday's game, but the all-too-familiar cheers began anyway.\n"AJ MO-YE!" Clap-clap ... clap-clap-clap.\nAll Moye could do was shake his head at the packed Assembly Hall as he watched the IU men's basketball team win their seventh straight game against the Vanderbilt Commodores.\n"It freaks you out, because you haven't even done anything yet, but they'll start it before the game; start sometimes before I get in the game," Moye said of his fan following. "It's like added pressure, but you know, pressure's healthy. It's cool, and I appreciate it. I'm glad the fans like the way I play. "\nDuring last year's NCAA tournament run, it was Moye that drew fan attention and approval. With his overflowing emotion, both on and off the court, Moye built up a fan base that didn't cease over the summer months.\nThis much was apparent from the beginning of this season, starting with last October's Midnight Madness. When Moye's name was announced, Assembly Hall was rocked with loud roars and the trademark cheer.\nBut even though his fans remain unfailing, Moye has seen changes in his role on the Hoosier team. With a talented and stacked backcourt, and senior forward Jeff Newton and junior center George Leach stepping up in the frontcourt, the 6-foot-2-inch Moye is trying to find where he fits in on this team.\n"The thing is, I've got to find my groove at that spot," Moye said of the forward position. "I've never played it before, and the thing is once I find my groove, I may pick up and be out there a little more. But it doesn't matter."\nWhat matters to Moye is that the undefeated Hoosiers keep winning. And if this means that Moye is going to be watching from the bench, he said that he is fine with that.\nWhat Moye sees as his bigger role on the team is being a motivator and an inspirational leader, he said. In the huddle prior to games, Moye sees to it that he is getting the team pumped up. When the starting lineups are announced, Moye is always the last one in line to give the starters a word of encouragement as they run out to the floor. When timeouts are called, he's the first of the bench to offer a word of advice.\n"He gives us a spark," said Roderick Wilmont, redshirted freshman guard and Moye's roommate. "When he does get in the game, A.J. comes in and gets the crowd in it, and does the little stuff that people don't do. He does whatever he can to help the team win. When I got here, he let me know what the ropes are and what to do to get ready for the season. He's been a real positive roommate."\nLast year, despite being hindered by a now-healed shoulder injury, Moye played in all 37 games and during the NCAA tournament averaged eight points per game.\nBut arguably no moment was bigger for Moye than his block against former Duke player Carlos Boozer in IU's upset win over the Blue Devils. Moye lists that as his favorite basketball memory.\nBut this season has created upheaval in Moye's basketball world. With the addition of freshman phenoms Bracey Wright and Marshall Strickland, Moye has had to adjust to the power forward position, where it is expected he will get most of his playing minutes.\nDespite seeing action in every game, Moye's minutes in seven games average just over 12, with an average of 3.4 points per game.\nBut even with his current situation, teammates said not to expect Moye to fade into the background.\n"He's the type of person to bounce back," senior guard Tom Coverdale said. "Everybody knows we need him to be a good team. He hasn't had his best games, and has been in kind of a slump, but I think if anyone can bounce out of it, it's A.J"