WWII memorial dedication set for 2004

WASHINGTON -- World War II veterans learned Sunday they are about a year and a half away from seeing completion of their war memorial on the National Mall.\nThe American Battle Monuments Commission announced Sunday the memorial will be dedicated on Saturday, May 29, 2004.\n"We really want to create what we call World War II week in Washington, D.C.," said Mike Conley, spokesman for the commission. "This could be one of the last great gatherings of World War II veterans in this country."\nThe commission says that of the 16 million citizens who served in uniform in World War II, fewer than 4 million are expected to be alive when the memorial is dedicated, noting that veterans from that era are dying at a rate of 1,100 a day.\nA lengthy court battle was waged over the memorial's location and design, with opponents maintaining its large-scale design and location would spoil the character of the Mall and interfere with grand vistas long enjoyed by visitors.\nThe 7.4-acre site is between the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument. The white stone memorial will feature 56 17-foot-high pillars, two four-story arches and a sunken plaza with a pool. On the floor of the arches will be the World War II Victory Medal surrounded by the words "Victory on Land, Victory at Sea, Victory in the Air." A registry will contain the names of veterans and others who helped in the war effort.\nConstruction began in September 2001 and is expected to end in March 2004. Conley said the commission chose the May date for the dedication because of the Memorial Day weekend and the prospect of nicer weather than in March.\nThe commission hopes to organize several days of events honoring World War II veterans surrounding the dedication date, including a Smithsonian exhibition on the National Mall and a memorial service at the Washington National Cathedral.\nThe dedication itself may include President Bush, other government dignitaries and actor Tom Hanks, who was a national spokesman for the project's fund-raising campaign, Conley said.\nVeterans are planning reunions in conjunction with the dedication, Conley said, and the commission wants to give them enough notice to make travel arrangements.\nThe total project costs are estimated at $170 million. Nearly $189 million has been raised through pledges and cash contributions. Conley said any extra money will go toward programs related to the memorial.