Hoosiers 'Premier' with win

Hoosiers open season against Premier Sports with 70-65 win; Hartman contributes 18 points

Coach Steve Rainer of Premier Sports said he's satisfied with the competitive game his team played against the IU women's basketball team Friday night. The Hoosiers came out on top in the exhibition game, 70-65.\n"Some exhibition teams come in, and they don't compete," Rainer said. "They don't give their opponent a challenge, but we gave IU a challenge tonight."\nIU coach Kathi Bennett said she was happy with the overall outcome of the game, but said the team is still shaky in some spots and has some areas to clean up. She said she still believes the team will improve.\n"We made some positive steps, and we know we have a ways to go, but there's so much potential. And it's all very exciting to me," Bennett said.\nHitting the floor hard for the night was senior Jill Hartman, who started in the game and recorded 18 points and four assists. Sophomore guard Jenny DeMuth added 15 points and 10 rebounds.\nDeMuth said she doesn't mind the pressure of being a leader on the team and knows it's a role she has to accept. She said it would now be key to keep everyone together and focused on their defense and running their offense.\nRainer said he was impressed with DeMuth on the court.\n"She is hard-nosed, and she made two critical baskets at the end of the game," Rainer said. "I was enjoying what she was doing out there."\nFreshman Cyndi Valentin said she was nervous about her first game in Assembly Hall but managed to score six points and have two assists. Valentin said it felt good to hit her first shot.\n"My parents and my coach called me before the game and helped calm me down and get me focused," Valentin said. "It was really exciting to play out there tonight."\nBennett said she was impressed with the presence of the freshmen Friday evening and even had a line up in the first half of the game that consisted of four freshmen.\n"They did really well coming in," Bennett said. "They were very energized. I thought Jamie (Gathing) gave us a lot of energy too."\nIn just 17 minutes of play, junior forward Jamie Gathing raked in eight points, five rebounds, two assists and two steals.\nProviding the team with energy from the sidelines was senior point guard Kristen Bodine. Bodine suffered a sprained ankle in practice, but will most likely not miss any more games due to the injury.\n"We played without Kristen Bodine, and I think that left us pressed a little bit," Bennett said.\nPremier Sports center Jannon Roland, former Purdue player, said she thought IU shot the ball well for it being their first game. The 1997 Big Ten MVP said IU's post players were strong and well coached.\n"We had them down a few times," Roland said. "But they came back."\nBennett said she was impressed with what the team accomplished.\n"We got to see what we want to work on," she said. "That's what exhibition is for"