Hoosiers hoping for 'second season'

On a roll with three straight Big Ten wins, an 18-8 overall record, and its best conference start since 1995, the Hoosier volleyball team seems quite poised for an at-large spot in the NCAA Tournament. With just two more wins this season, IU will tie the school record for wins since the inception of NCAA sponsored women's volleyball. \nAlong with its impressive record, the Hoosiers have defeated numerous ranked opponents, including last weekend's back-to-back victories against No. 27 Michigan and No. 26 Michigan State. Along with their successful 2002 season, the Hoosiers remain true to their "One point at a time" motto and the reality that the work is not over yet.\n"We're happy with our success this season, but we've got more matches ahead of us," junior middle blocker Melissa Brewer said. "It's still just one point, one match at a time."\nIU's last NCAA tournament bid came in 1999 when the 20-11 Hoosiers were defeated in the second round against Northern Iowa. Senior libero Hillary Toivonen is the only remaining member of the 1999 NCAA tournament team. Ironically, Toivonen led the 1999 bid by posting 25 kills and second on the team with five blocks in IU's match against Northern Iowa, despite the fact that her current position prohibits her from both hitting and blocking. Regardless of leaving behind Toivonen's hitting and blocking ability, the libero position has treated her well, posting an eighth ranking in conference digs with 3.14 per game.\n"The libero position is tailor-made for her, it truly is," coach Katie Weismiller said earlier this season. "If there's a player to fill that role, it's Hillary."\nSince then, the road has had its ups and downs for IU, posting a decent 18-12 record in the 2000 campaign, followed by a dismal 8-26 record last year, and already matching the 2000's win record with six matches to go this season. However, the Hoosiers have blossomed back into life this season, with numerous players ranking in the conference top ten in countless statistical categories.\nSophomore outside hitter Christina Archibald is IU's team leader in kills per game with 4.19, and just .02 shy of moving back into fourth in the Big Ten. Brewer has moved to just two spots short of Archibald's ranking by upping her kills per game average to 4.07. Leading the offense is sophomore setter Victoria Zimmerman, coming off of a strong 71 assist performance against Michigan, is sitting at second in the conference with 13.75 assists per game. \n"Victoria Zimmerman has done an incredible job. Really you can look all the way around," Weismiller said. "We have our two outsides Nikki (Hill) and Christina (Archibald) certainly carry a huge load for us. But we really look at it as a team effort."\nThe service ace category has also treated the Hoosiers well with junior outside hitter Nikki Hill coming off of a 5 ace match, good for fourth in the Big Ten with 25 with Archibald running fifth in the conference with 22 service aces.\nWith all of the team's wins and impressive play across the board, the Hoosiers are still set on the belief that there is something to prove. \n"We've been working all season trying to prove ourselves," sophomore middle blocker Katie Pollom said. "When we're on, we can play with anyone"