Freshmen show talents

An assumption about basketball is that experience is invaluable. While that is true, the energy youth brings should not be underestimated. \nThe IU women's basketball team received vigor and quality play from its freshmen this past weekend to claim the championship of the Hampton Inn/Fazoli's Classic. The freshmen foursome of Cyndi Valentin, Angela Hawkins, Brigett Branson and Kali Kullberg greatly contributed to the Hoosiers ninth Classic title. \n"They know what they need to do on the floor," senior guard Kristen Bodine said. "I don't need to tell them too much."\nThe IU freshmen were involved in many key plays in the dramatic double overtime win against Ball State Saturday.\nIn overtime, Valentin, a 5-foot 8-inch Bloomington native, hit an off-balance shot to pull IU within one point. After a Cardinals missed shot, the 6-3 Hawkins corralled the rebound. On the other end, Hawkins converted a lay up to give the Hoosiers their first lead of overtime, 85-84 with 52 seconds remaining. \nAnother freshman play allowed IU to force a second extra period. With one second left in overtime and down one point, Valentin was fouled as she drove to the basket. The scrappy guard missed the first free throw, but calmly knocked down the second to send the contest to a second overtime.\n"Every person on every team has to earn their place," Valentin said. "Just because you're a freshman doesn't mean you have to prove something." \nThe freshmen were called upon yet again and responded. In the second overtime, Valentin made a lay-up off a pass from Bodine to give IU a 96-90 advantage, a lead they would never relinquish. That was followed with a defensive rebound and field goal by Hawkins to extend the lead to eight. Two free throws by Valentin and two more rebounds by Hawkins would seal the victory for the Hoosiers. Valentin finished the game with 12 points and six rebounds. \nCoach Kathi Bennett described the play of Valentin and the intangibles she brings to the floor.\n"She's a reliable player to have as a freshman," Bennett said. "Her game's complete. She's a scorer. She can do other things, but she's mainly a scorer." \nBodine said she could sort of relax and not worry about scoring when other players like Valentin do it.\nMeanwhile, Hawkins earned nine points and grabbed ten rebounds, but Bennett praised her defense on Ball State's primary scorer, senior Tamara Bowie.\nHawkins said she was happy to help the team any way she could. \n"I know my strengths," Hawkins said. "It's so exciting to see the team come together."\nThe quartet of freshmen combined to score 28 points against Ball State. Kullberg tallied only three, but that was a pivotal three-pointer as it gave IU a one point lead with just under nine minutes in regulation.\nBennett and the IU coaching staff were not hesitant to go to the freshmen and go to them often. Trailing 18-5 in the first half the Hoosiers had three freshmen on the floor. Again, in the second half of a close game three freshmen were in the line-up. \nBennett said depth was a factor because of the length of the game and the number of fouls. Bennett added that was one of the differences in the game, the fact that she played more players because she was not afraid to play the freshmen. \nFriday night in a win over Wofford it was the same story. The freshmen left their mark in their first career games. Valentin scored a game-high 16 points in a little more than 20 minutes of action. Branson, who started in both contests, tallied four points, six rebounds and three steals against the Lady Terriers. Meanwhile, Kullberg and Hawkins contributed to an IU bench that outscored the Hoosier starters 49-41. \nBennett said this would help prepare the younger players for Big Ten play, especially after the game with Ball State. \n"They compete, and they're fearless," Bennett said. "They keep learning and keep getting better"