Around The Region

Bank seeks foreclosure on YWCA center, women's shelter\nKOKOMO -- A bank has filed a foreclosure notice against the Kokomo YWCA, saying the group has not made payments on a $600,000 mortgage.\nThe complaint filed in Howard Superior Court by National City Bank of Indiana asks that the YWCA's three properties -- including its main building, its domestic violence shelter and a parking lot -- be sold at auction to pay the mortgage principal, interest and legal fees.\nDee Ann Bond, the YWCA's executive director, downplayed the threat of foreclosure on the properties.\n"That's just a legal instrument at this point. It's not anything etched in stone," Bond told the Kokomo Tribune. "I don't think that there is anything to justify any kind of real alarm at this point. Those things take a long, long time, sometimes up to a year."\nThat could be time enough for the group to raise enough money to either pay down or pay off the mortgage, she said.\nBond blamed the group's troubles on the loss of money from the United Way of Howard County, which in July suspended about $14,000 a month in funding. United Way and YWCA officials disagreed over whether the YWCA had complied with requests for financial information.\nAfter the United Way withdrew its funding, the YWCA had to use money that once went to pay the mortgage to pay for programming instead, Bond said.

Scissors prompt evacuation of Indianapolis airport oncourse\nINDIANAPOLIS -- Authorities briefly evacuated one of four concourses at Indianapolis International Airport Tuesday after a security screener saw a pair of scissors in a bag that was being X-rayed.\nScreeners wanted to inspect the bag by hand but mistakenly retrieved a different bag, allowing the bag with the scissors to be picked up by a passenger, said David Kane, the airport's assistant federal security director for screening.\nPassengers were asked to leave the concourse while airport police and officials from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration searched for the bag containing the scissors.\nAbout 150 passengers had to go back through security inspections before re-entering the concourse.\nThe scissors were not found, but authorities were confident that they were not in the concourse, Kane said.\nThree outbound flights and one inbound flight were delayed by the search, which took less than an hour.