Import brings heart to team

Junior brings speed, confidence to inexperienced squad

Jaime O'Pray receives a lot of praise from those around her. Coach Amy Robertson calls her "fast," while her cohorts on the field describe her as "dynamic." Whether it be her blazing speed or slight accent, O'Pray certainly is a unique member of IU's 2002 field hockey squad.\nThe junior forward is the only international recruit on the squad and is very proud of her hometown in Richmond, British Columbia where she calls home. \nO'Pray says that field hockey flourishes in this region around Vancouver where ice hockey usually takes the headlines.\n"Field hockey is a very big sport in Canada," O'Pray said. "All the high schools have it, and it is very competitive."\nAccordingly, O'Pray's field hockey prowess did not go unnoticed in her hometown. She was a member of the BC Summer Games squad for two straight seasons, helping her team win a bronze and a gold medal. O'Pray was also a member of the Under 18 Squad and led her high school to the Provincial Title in her senior season, leading the team in goals scored. \n"I got on those teams by coaches' recommendations and through tryouts," O'Pray said. "They were a lot of fun and really helped my abilities."\nOut of high school, O'Pray was heavily recruited by Boston University and didn't consider IU until Robertson came calling, telling her of IU's re-founded field hockey program. \nO'Pray said Boston University first recruited her at a tournament in California. Robertson learned about her while talking to Boston's head coach in a conversation about international recruiting. \n"(Robertson) heard of me through Boston's coach and began contacting me," O'Pray said. "I never went on an official visit to IU but I knew I wanted to go away and Boston was just too far east, so I came here." \nRobertson couldn't have been happier with O'Pray's decision.\n"(O'Pray) had a lot of experience coming in which was huge," Robertson said. "She has great speed, a great reach and she really just brings a lot to our attacking system." \nAlthough she loves her teammates and coaches, O'Pray admits that it has been hard going through the growing pains of a young program.\n"It is trying at times because it seems like other teams have so much experience and tradition," O'Pray said. "But it helps because everyone is going through the same thing at once and we have bonded over that and now we can get through anything." \nAfter playing in 13 games last season, O'Pray had played in 10 games this season with only one career goal. But she has lit up the scoreboard with three goals in the past two contests. O'Pray scored the only goal in IU's 3-1 loss to Iowa and notched both Hoosier scores in their 2-0 win over St. Louis in the home finale on Saturday. \n"I've been trying really hard lately and it is starting to pay off," O'Pray said. "Heart is the motto for our team and I have used that to make myself better."\nO'Pray's teammates marvel at her quickness and appreciate her reliability.\n"Jaime has got awesome speed and I can always count on her to get back and help me on defense," senior defender Akila Jones said. "She is so quick, so intense, and so fierce and just a dynamic player"