Assistant 'spikes' motivation

Cydryce Carter improves Hoosiers defense, blocking

Much of the Hoosiers success this season can be credited to assistant coach Cydryce Carter, who at her first year of coaching at IU, has improved the Hoosiers' defense and blocking -- two main reasons for the team's turnaround. \nA native of Houston, Carter spent two years as the assistant coach at Soutwestern Texas State before deciding to come back to IU, where she played in 127 consecutive matches for the Hoosiers from 1999-1996.\nAt IU, Carter set the single-season record for block assists (139) and total blocks (152), while also leading IU to their first ever NCAA Tournament appearance ever. She ended her IU career by finishing in the top ten in digs, service aces, block assists and total blocks. \n"We are very excited to have Cydryce back in our program," coach Katie Weismiller said. "She brings a lot as far as her passion, spirit and motivation."\nOff the court, Carter was a two-time recipient of the Varsity Club Scholar Athlete Award. She earned her bachelor's degree in biology in 2000, in doing so finished in the top 5 percent of her graduating class. \nCurrently, Carter is helping the Hoosiers with their team defense and blocking, which has improved throughout this season. Since the change from the Swing blocking style to the traditional blocking, IU has recorded 357 block assists, 38 more than their opponent. But its a new team mentality that Carter has brought to the squad.\n"I want to bring a lot of motivation and a lot of spirit." Carter said. "I want them to know that we are better than any other IU team has ever been. We are a good team and they need to realize that."\nAfter Carter's two years at SW Texas State, she thought it made the most sense to come back to her alma mater. \n"There is not a better place to come back to than a place where I put all my sweat into," Carter said. "IU is a program that has given so much to me."\nAs for the players, Carter's experience and knowledge of the game helps them in their day-to-day improvement. Junior middle blocker Melissa Brewer says Carter is a huge part of this year's success.\n"Cyd is one of the main reasons for the turnaround this season", Brewer said. "She means a lot to the team"