Around The Arts

Man busted on Kid Rock's tour bus\nFORT PIERCE, Fla.-- A man traveling aboard Kid Rock's tour bus was charged with drug possession after a concert in West Palm Beach. \nKevin Joseph McMahon, 36, who identified himself as the rap-rocker's personal assistant, was arrested and released Sunday from St. Lucie County Jail after posting $16,000 bond. Kid Rock and members of his band weren't on the bus, police said. \nMcMahon and the bus driver were the only people aboard the vehicle, which was headed to Nashville. Kid Rock and his band, which opened a concert for Aerosmith on Saturday, were flying to Nashville, police said. \nSymphony premieres musical works\nWASHINGTON -- The National Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Leonard Slatkin will perform the world premiere of two musical works based on dance at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts today. \n"Symphony Mo. 1: Ballet for Orchestra" is a 27-minute work in four movements modeled after symphonies of the late 1700s by Josef Haydn and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The new symphony is by Cindy McFee, who teaches at the University of North Texas at Denton, Texas. "Dance Craze," a three- to four-minute work by Steven Burke of New York, will also have its first performance today. \nOn Oct. 30 and 31, Slatkin will conduct the McFee symphony at New York City's Carnegie Hall, along with two works by Finnish composers: a clarinet concerto by Einojuhani Rautavaara and "Nymphea Reflection" by Kaija Saariaho. \nGermany honors author Gunter Grass\nLUEBECK, Germany -- Germany honored Nobel-winning author Gunter Grass with the opening of a center exhibiting his work. \nThe Gunter Grass House in Luebeck's old town will show original manuscripts, sketches and sculpture by the author and hold a calendar of cultural events. \nOfficials expect some 30,000 visitors a year to the museum, which opened Sunday. \nGrass, the author of "The Tin Drum" and "Cat and Mouse," won the Nobel Literature Prize in 1999, the first German to secure the award since Heinrich Boell 27 years earlier. \nContestants vie to climb Mt. Everest\nNEW YORK -- Fifty contestants, evenly divided among men and women, were chosen by the Outdoor Life Network to compete for a chance to climb Mount Everest. \nThe television network is filming a reality series, "Global Extremes: Mt. Everest — 4Runners of Adventure," that pits contestants in challenges like backcountry skiing, rock-climbing, desert racing, mountain biking and ice climbing. \nThe 12 contestants who do best on the challenges will then attempt to climb the world's tallest mountain. \nThe contestants range in age from 22-year-old Jessica Casas, a medical student at Brown University, to 61-year-old Jim Berry of Greenwood Village, Colo., a doctor who has completed the Ironman Triathlon 10 times. \nThe series premieres in January and culminates with the attempted climb of Mount Everest next May. \nThe winner of the contest gets $250,000.

sh: Germany honors author Gunter Grass \nLUEBECK, Germany -- Germany honored Nobel-winning author Gunter Grass with the opening of a center exhibiting his work. \nThe Gunter Grass House in Luebeck's old town will show original manuscripts, sketches and sculpture by the author and hold a calendar of cultural events. \nOfficials expect some 30,000 visitors a year to the museum, which opened Sunday. \nGrass, the author of "The Tin Drum" and "Cat and Mouse," won the Nobel Literature Prize in 1999, the first German to secure the award since Heinrich Boell 27 years earlier. \nGrass, who was born in Danzig, now the Polish port of Gdansk, has lived in the northern city of Luebeck since 1995.

sh: Man busted on Kid Rock's tour bus \nFORT PIERCE, Fla. - A man traveling aboard Kid Rock's tour bus was charged with drug possession after a concert in West Palm Beach. \nKevin Joseph McMahon, 36, who identified himself as the rap-rocker's personal assistant, was arrested and released Sunday from St. Lucie County Jail after posting $16,000 bond. Kid Rock and members of his band weren't on the bus, police said. \nMcMahon and the bus driver were the only people aboard the vehicle, which was headed to Nashville. Kid Rock and his band, which opened a concert for Aerosmith on Saturday, were flying to Nashville, police said. \nMcMahon could not be reached for comment. It was unclear whether he had a lawyer. \nAuthorities were tipped by a driver who said drugs were aboard the bus. Police stopped the bus on Florida's Turnpike and did a top-to-bottom search. \nNo police officials were available to elaborate on the driver's tip. \nMcMahon was carrying cocaine, and a drug-sniffing dog found a package of rolling papers, a marijuana joint and $3,717 in cash in a silver metal briefcase, according to the police report. McMahon told police the drugs and paraphernalia were his. \nKid Rock, whose real name is Bob Ritchie, is engaged to actress Pamela Anderson.