Students invited to 'Miss a Meal'

Donations to aid American Red Cross

Next week, IU students will have the opportunity to donate meal points to charity through the "Miss a Meal" program. \nBut it might not be as much as they think.\nThe program, which runs next week from Monday through Wednesday, gives students at the dining halls the choice of deducting $7.50 in meal points when they swipe their ID.\nOf that, 40 percent, or $3 of the $7.50, goes to the American Red Cross to aid in relief efforts for the victims of terrorist attacks in New York and Washington. \nThe remaining 60 percent stays with Residential Programs and Services to cover overhead costs.\nResidence Halls Association and the IU Student Association organized this "Miss a Meal" opportunity.\nRHA President Ken Minami said the small percentage that goes to charity makes "Miss a Meal" less effective.\n"I hate it. That's why I think 'Miss a Meal' is a bad program," said Minami.\nIUSA President Jake Oakman said he feels the program still has value.\n"(60 percent) is pretty high, but 40 percent is better than nothing," Oakman, a senior, said. "In a situation like this, you take what you can get."\nThe money that goes to RPS pays for "fixed costs," said RPS Dining Services Director Sandra Fowler.\n"All the money is allocated except for the food costs," she said. "You still have to pay the staff."\nFowler said she wants students to be aware how the $7.50 is divided.\n"I've always been concerned about that -- students are often misled in the "Miss a Meal" program," Fowler said. "That's the responsibility of the charity."\n"Miss a Meal" has been used before at IU, including in 1999, when donations went to the American Red Cross to aid relief efforts in Kosovo.\nSenior Rachel Radom helped organize "Miss a Meal" two years ago. She estimated the 1999 program raised about $1,700. But she was similarly disappointed with the amount taken by RPS.\n"It came as a surprise at first, when I heard (the percentages)," Radom said. "But I think the generosity of students helped."\nRepresentatives of IUSA and RHA will be posted at cash registers in the dining halls next week to explain the program to customers. When students swipe their cards, they can choose to donate the $7.50. Donations can be made once a day each day the program runs.\n"Hopefully, this is a once in a lifetime event," Oakman said, of the necessity for the donations.\nRHA and IUSA originally planned to start the program Monday, but it was delayed a week by RHA.\n"Basically, we weren't able to throw it together in time to make it effective," Minami said.\nMinami said the week's delay will allow organizers to get volunteers and advertisements placed and make sure as many students as possible know about the program.\nIn the old program, students actually gave up a meal -- this time, the meal points are deducted from the account.\n"(The students) still eat," Fowler said. "They'll just spend points on something else besides food. The rest of our overhead costs will continue."\nDespite his concerns, Minami believes the program will be successful.\n"I think the turnout is going to be really great," he said. "This affects people so much -- people really are concerned and really are proactive"