Row 7 packed with rookie riders

Row 7\nThe majority of riders in row 7 are rookie riders looking to make their mark. Cinzano is the only team with a veteran rider, and it's looking to do as well as it did last year, when the team finished in the top 10. All of the teams are anticipating the chance to gain experience and build for the future.\nNo. 19 Briscoe (2:44.12)\nBriscoe's all-freshman, all-rookie team this year is looking to acquire some experience on race day just as it's been doing all year. \nThe riders said they feel no pressure because they're all rookies, and they hope to use their strongest attribute of endurance to hang with the pack.\nBy qualifying 19th this year, the team feels it has a legitimate chance of finishing in the top 15. \nBriscoe's freshman, rookie team consists of four riders: captain Tim Smith, Jared Hoff, Chiraag Gangahar and Matt Kubal. \nNo. 20 Cinzano (2:44.23)\nCinzano is looking to have a repeat of last year, when it finished ninth. Despite losing four seniors, the team believes this feat is accomplishable.\n "Even though this year is a rebuilding year, we have really talented riders with a lot of depth," team captain and senior Chris McIntyre said. \n That depth comes from senior Jason Erbse, junior Jon Kloppenburg and sophomore Kris Keller. \nNo. 21 Chi Phi (2:44.65)\nThis all-rookie squad said it's excited about the race and would love to carry on the tradition of years past. In the past three years, Chi Phi has finished in the top 10, with a sixth-place finish last year.\nA couple of the young team members, sophomores Reggie Hayes and Steve Cunningham, have really gotten involved, despite a late jump on things. Seniors Ben Schmidt and Chris Phillips round out the roster. \nThe team said it's shooting for a top10 finish, but it's really looking to gain quality experience that it can draw from for the future.\nRow 8\nLooking to over come past mishaps, the teams in row 8 are determined to make their mark. Last year Army failed to qualify, Alpha Tau Omega fell victim to several wrecks and Phi Kappa Psi jumbled an exchange in quals. The teams are leaving all of that in the past and are striving on the future.\nNo. 22 Phi Kappa Psi (2:45.25)\nPhi Kappa Psi's qualifying position doesn't symbolize how strong of a team it believes it has. \n"One of our exchanges cost our team about five seconds. With a smooth exchange we would have placed much higher," team captain Tom Dozois said. "All of the riders are looking confident with a positive and aggressive attitude toward our goals."\nChris Burnett, Eric Stewart and Matt Germann are returning riders just like Dozois, and they have hopes of finishing in the top 10. They said they believe this goal is definitely accomplishable because of the amount of training they compiled prior to the race.\nNo. 23 Alpha Tau Omega (2:45.34)\nAlpha Tau Omega is looking to avoid what happened last year, when the team was in several wrecks. This year the team feels strong and believes it will move up and stay competitive with the top teams.\n"This team is the strongest we have produced in years. We really feel we have a legitimate shot at competing with the lead riders," captain Shawn Monroe said.\nTeam members said they think they have a well-rounded team that provides both sprinters and endurance riders. These members are Chris Bence, Tom Meersman, Blair Motchan and Monroe.\nNo. 24 Army (2:46.65)\nWith a lot of support, Army ROTC is looking to build a quality tradition beginning this year. Last year Army had a team but failed to qualify.\n"This being our first year to race, we are really determined and are willing to get better," team captain and senior Jonathan Grabill said.\nThe team of Justin Goble, Chris Beck, Andy Higgins and Grabill said it's looking to come out healthy and strong for race day. The riders said they want to place in the top half of the pack, despite this being their first year to race in the Little 500.