Nationally ranked team loses to Michigan opponents

The women's soccer team went into the weekend nationally ranked for the first time in more than two seasons. After this weekend, the Hoosiers are sure to relegate their No. 23 ranking after losses to the Michigan Wolverines and Michigan State Spartans. \nOn Friday night, Michigan scored three goals in the first half and beat the Hoosiers 4-2 in a game that was supposed to be a defensive showdown between two similar conference foes. Wolverine forward Abby Crumpton found the back of the net in the seventh minute and repeated the feat in the 24th minute to get Michigan rolling, and the attack continued. \nIt was only the second time this season the Hoosiers allowed an opponent to score four goals. Theresa Dwyer added another goal to the tally and sent the Wolverines into the locker room with a 3-0 advantage. Just ten minutes into the second half, Crumpton struck again, giving her a hat trick and putting the game out of reach. \nLate goals from IU sophomore midfielder Emily Hotz and freshman back Kara Kornfeld helped the Hoosiers avoid being shut out. Kornfeld's goal was the first of her collegiate career, and Hotz's goal came on an assist from freshman Carrie Fry, who tallied her first assist as a Hoosier.\nTrying to return to Bloomington with at least one win from the two weekend games, IU played what coach Joe Kelley called one of the worst games the team has played all year, as the Spartans were able to upset the Hoosiers 2-1 Saturday. The game was played on a rain-soaked field, and the Spartans set the tone with a goal just five minutes into the game. From that point on, the first half belonged to IU, which finally broke through at the 37:29 mark when senior midfielder Kelly Kram muscled a cross from Hotz past Spartan goalkeeper Stacy Heller. It was the senior co-captains' first goal of the season.\nMichigan State took the lead for good when Kristi Arrington collected a rebound in the area after IU goalkeeper ShaunnaDaugherty saved a shot off Spartan midfielder Trisha Kenny's foot and put it in the net at the 67:13 mark. IU had three scoring chances in the first half, as both Kram and junior forward Kristen Sprunger had near misses after crosses from Hotz.\nFry had a good chance as well, nearly heading in a cross from Kram with five minutes remaining in the first half, but Fry's effort sailed over the bar.\nIU had a chance to equalize in the second half as well, when a long shot from junior forward Kara Bryan thumped off the crossbar.\nThe Hoosiers, who got off to the best start in team history, are now 6-4-1 (3-3-1).