Knight to receive Texas Tech job

Regend confirms deal; University plans announcement today

Bob Knight has wanted another chance to coach college basketball since IU President Myles Brand terminated his contract with IU Sept. 10.\nToday, Texas Tech appears ready to grant Knight his wish.\nThe school in Lubbock, Texas, 1,100 miles southwest of Bloomington, will announce Bob Knight as its 12th men's basketball coach during a 7 p.m. press conference at the school's new United Spirit Arena.\nTexas Tech Chancellor John Montford informed Texas Tech board of regents members of the intention to hire Knight Thursday afternoon after accepting the recommendations of athletics director Gerald Myers and president David Schmidly. The regents can approve or disapprove, but cannot veto the action, meaning the job is Knight's -- if he accepts.\n"The hire is made by the president," said regent Brian Newby, confirming he had received the University's recommendation for Knight. "The chancellor will look to the board of regents not necessarily for anything more than an objection or an agreement with the decision."\nUniversity officials announced Thursday afternoon that Schmidly and Myers will make an announcement regarding the men's basketball program during a news conference on the main floor of the arena. Schmidly and Myers will answer questions after making the announcement, according to a press release.\nThe release doesn't mention Knight by name and Cindy Rugeley, associate vice chancellor and university spokeswoman, wouldn't confirm his identity. But all indicators say Knight, 60, will be Texas Tech's next basketball coach.\nRugeley said that the new coach would be named at the press conference and that he would answer reporters' questions. \n"What better thing could happen for Texas Tech?" Schmidly told the Associated Press Wednesday. "He's one of the best basketball coaches to ever live. If we could get him here and his behavior is right, he is energetic, enthused and has the same values that all of us in West Texas and Texas Tech have, it would be a very good decision on our part."\nSchmidly passed the last potential roadblock to Knight's hiring Wednesday at a meeting with Texas Tech's Faculty Senate. In a discussion that lasted an hour, Schmidly answered questions concerning Knight's troubled past.\nKnight was fired after violating IU's "zero-tolerance" policy six times, Brand said.\nSchmidly reiterated to Senate members, some of whom signed a petition against hiring Knight, that Texas Tech would not tolerate any antics detrimental to the university, Senate member John Murray said.\n"I personally have no concern with Coach Knight coming here," said Murray, an education professor. "I think he's a good fit here. I understand his past history, but I think he deserves another chance, as long as his behavior warrants it."\nWhile about 100 faculty members voiced concern, Murray said the majority support -- or are apathetic at the least -- to Knight coaching the Red Raiders, who finished with a 9-19 record last season.\nKnight's ability to run a clean program is something that makes him an attractive candidate for a Division-I university, Murray said. But it's not the only plus, he said.\n"Texas Tech needs a strong coach," Murray said. "He has a very good graduation rate among his athletes, which is a concern of mine as an educator. He graduates his players. A lot of coaches can't say that." \nThe Associated Press contributed to this report.