Around The Arts

Jerry Lewis raises record $56.8M \nLOS ANGELES -- Jerry Lewis, headlining his 36th annual Muscular Dystrophy Association Telethon, raised a record $56.8 million to fight neuromuscular diseases. \nThe telethon, originating from CBS Television City in Hollywood, was broadcast for 21 1/2 hours on about 200 TV stations around the country during the Labor Day weekend. As usual, the variety show featured celebrity co-hosts, including Ed McMahon, Norm Crosby and Casey Kasem. \nLewis said he was gratified to have exceeded his goal of raising $1 more than last year's $54.6 million total. \n"The extraordinary compassion of the great American public never ceases to amaze me, even after all these years," Lewis said in a statement issued shortly after the conclusion of the marathon event. \nBillboard awards top R&B artists \nNEW YORK -- Musiq Soulchild led the list of winners with four awards followed by R. Kelly with three in Billboard magazine's first R&B/Hip-Hop Awards. \nMusiq Soulchild won awards as top R&B/hip-hop artist, R&B/hip-hop male artist, new R&B/hip-hop artist and R&B/hip-hop singles artist. \nR. Kelly was the winner of top R&B/hip-hop album for "TP-2.com," R&B/ hip-hop albums artist and R&B/hip-hop songwriter of the year. \nThe awards, which were announced last week, are based on actual performance on Billboard's weekly R&B/Hip-Hop and Rap charts since the start of the year. They are based on sales data from SoundScan and radio information compiled by Broadcast Data Systems.