Friday, Sept. 20

Mudsharks prepare during spring

Preparation, determination, dedication and increased recovery time are the key attributes for the Mudsharks -- and that's just the training season. \nThe spring season for the IU men's rugby team is turning out to be more of a spring training for the fall then anything else. This spring the Mudsharks played only two games as a team, concluding with a 1-1 record. But a portion of the team's members were selected to play for the local all-star team that consists of players from IU, Purdue and Ball State. This team plays others in the Midwest Saturday in Rockford, Ill. Indiana's all-star team is the reigning champion, so they are looking to defend that title.\n"We see the spring as an opportunity for increased recovery for the success of our team along with quality preparation for the fall," said senior and alumni coordinator Dan Langley.\nThe Mudsharks are a young team in which no one will be graduating this spring, providing a strong team for the fall. A valuable addition for the fall will be made in senior Brian Englum who was last year's captain and will be returning from overseas. \n"The fall season is what really counts," senior and president Laith Shaaban said. "The fall season determines who will go to Nationals, which is played in the spring. But unfortunately we didn't qualify due to a loss to Michigan State"