Middle of the pack looking to surge

Row 5\nThe odds are against the team members in row five with one team, Athena, consisting of only three riders. The other two teams, Hatrix and Pi Beta Phi, contain all rookies. All three teams have their own qualities they hope to use in order to finish strong.

No. 13 Hatrix (3:00.87)\nThis first year team is going to rely on its athleticism for this year's race. This all-rookie team is comprised of members from the women's club soccer team. \nThese members include team captain Suzanne Riddle, Susan Hall, Sara Hall and Rebecca Adams. They have learned to respect one another and rely on their highly motivational skills.\n"This year has definitely been an eye-opening experience," Riddle said. "It has been rough but a lot of fun."\nBeing a first-year squad, this independent team is looking to place in the top 15 but most importantly to do the best that they can do.

No. 14 Athena (3:01.01)\nThis year's team is looking to avoid the catastrophe that placed them 13th last year -- the dreaded first wreck.\nJunior rider Allison Ware's attitude is built on determination to reach the front of the pack and she will be unwilling to let anyone take her down according to her team members.\nWare will start the race, followed by sophomore Anna Schwartz and senior Mavourneen Ryan. Comprised of only three riders, team members rely on their strong chemistry and ability to read one another.\n"We have put in enough work to finish high in the race, but however the race turns out, we'll be happy." Ryan said.

No. 15 Pi Beta Phi (3:03.14)\nThis all-rookie team is looking to make its mark despite lack of Little 500 experience. This team qualified 15th, so they are determined to place at least that high in the race.\nTeam members consist of captain Allison Blinn, Colleen O'Brien, Katie Cooper, Meghan Ehmann and Caroline Gullian whom are all confident that they can do well.\n"We are really confident on the track with good speed and great communication skills," Blinn said. They said they have had a great season so far, which has been a lot of fun for them.\nRow 6\nThe teams in row six are looking to impress and are prepared to do just that. All three teams have a lot of depth and are capable of dealing with adversity. Each team is prepared to bounce back from last year with Kappa Delta looking to repeat its third place finish of just a year ago.

No. 16 Kappa Delta (3:04.45)\nTwo juniors and three sophomores, all rookies, compose the Kappa Delta team, yet they are still determined and focused. The juniors are team captain Kim Gerbers and Lisa Ricci, along sophomores, Jen Gaker, Rachael Monts and IDS staffer Erin White.\nThis year they have a different perspective than last year in which the team had all veterans and placed third. They are still just as positive about the race even though they are all rookies. \n"We worked really hard over spring break giving 110 percent," Gerbers said. "We feel that we can do just as well as last year because we have competed in all the events and have put in more miles this year compared to last."

No. 17 Forest Fire (3:05.58)\nForest Fire is looking to burn up the competition this year. They have more experience and have done the best they can with little financial support. \nThe team includes senior Melissa Blake, juniors Cheresa Jonkman and Becky Lockwood, back senior captain Michelle Vaught.\nLast year's team contained all rookies and they ended up placing 24th. The team says that they will be disappointed if they don't improve from last year. With three veterans and only one rookie, they feel that this goal is truly attainable.

No. 18 Chi Omega (3:06.74)\nA bad wreck and two broken collarbones during team pursuit last year put a dent in Chi Omega's Little 5 finish. This year the team is looking to bounce back from its misfortunes in the past and impress a lot of people. One of those team members, captain Brittney Virgin, has recovered and is ready to meet the challenge.\n"We have a lot of depth this year despite being an all rookie team," Virgin said. "Last year we lost two riders during team pursuit, including myself, so we ended up not doing so well during the race. We are looking to really compete and finish strong."\nRounding out this team are seniors Anna Kumis, Whitney Ezis and Krissy Selleck and junior Alyssa Houze.