Women's golf finishes tourney

After posting both season-high and season-low rounds during its spring tournament, the women's golf team played more consistently Monday and Tuesday at the "Mo" memorial in Houston, Texas. But that consistency didn't mean the Hoosiers played well. They shot rounds of 323 and 319 to finish in sixth place.\n"I don't think that we played that well, particularly with the conditions being so difficult," Coach Sam Carmichael said. "Good players hit good shots, but the ball maybe didn't end up in a favorable position for us. We still aren't getting productivity out of some of the players, but I know they can play better than that." \nTwenty-degree weather forced the cancellation of the first round Monday, but the teams were able to compete in the second round later in the day. The squad's score tied for fourth place, alongside host Texas A&M and Missouri. Ohio State led after the first day, shooting a 307 for an eight-stroke advantage over second-place TCU. Michigan State, which won the Hoosiers' first tournament, the Central District Invitational, rounded out the top three. \nSophomore Danah Ford topped the Hoosier individual standings for the first round, shooting a 79. Senior Tiffany Fisher and sophomore Karen Dennison both fired 81s, sophomore Mary Lidester shot an 82 and sophomore Ambry Bishop shot an 85 in her first tournament of the spring season. \nThe Hoosiers shot four strokes better Tuesday but fell in the standings to sixth place to finish the tournament with a 642 two-day score. Ohio State shot a second-round 309 to cement its lead, and Michigan State leapfrogged TCU to take second. Baylor and the University of Oklahoma took fourth and fifth.\n"I don't think this was a week to tell if we were getting better or worse in some places," Carmichael said. "The course played some mind games with the kids. The weather and the dry conditions were a factor in the first round, and that required a lot of different shots that we don't necessarily have."\nDennison shot a 77 on the final day to jump to a tie for 13th place in the overall standings. \n"My play today was a little bit better than yesterday," she said. "My short game improved a lot, and I made some putts."\nFord tied for 17th after shooting an 80, and Lidester shot another 82 to forge a 39th-place finish. Bishop tied for 44th, and Fisher tied for 48th to round out the Hoosier finishers.\nThe Hoosiers next compete when they travel to Wallace, N.C., to take part in the Lady Seahawk Invitational March 25-26. \n"Fortunately we've got spring break coming," Carmichael said. "Maybe we can get some work in over spring break, get some confidence and get our games back in the conditions we need them to be"