New outlook on greek living

When I first came to IU, I despised the greek system. I laughed at girls who passed me with bold sweatshirts and lettered bags. I mocked girls who wore six-inch heels to class, and I didn't understand why anyone would want to live in a house with 100 girls. I thought the system was superficial, materialistic and worthless. \nAnd guess what: I am now a part of the same system I once despised. \nContrary to popular belief, going greek does not mean selling your soul to alcohol and conformity. Nor does it mean you have to dress a certain way, act a certain way or mold yourself into someone you're not.\nI'm sick of that same redundant "you're buying your friends" argument. Get a new line. The only things I've paid for are room, board and a lot of nice home-cooked meals. All right, so maybe I've also tripled my t-shirt collection, but that's beside the point.\nBob Dylan once wrote a song called "The Times They Are A-Changin." One of my favorite quotes comes from this amazing piece: "Don't criticize what you can't understand." And there you have it, folks, a moral to this column.\nI still fear people who walk by and classify me as "a sorority girl," although I have never really been one to be deeply affected by a stranger's opinion. I probably wouldn't be writing this column if I cared what you thought about me. I just want to educate those who do not understand. With all of the "joining a house is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me" crap aside, Here's my interpretation of greek system:\nThe greek system is a network of people who choose to be involved on campus. There is drinking, but I have seen the same magnitude of alcohol abuse at both apartment and house parties. It is magnified in the greek system because people need something tangible to blame when something goes wrong. Oh shoot, there is a drinking problem at a public university. Who can we blame? \nNot everyone in a house gets along. It is impossible to like 100 girls, but it is possible to live with them. I have learned more about patience in the last eight months than the previous 19 years. As shallow as it sounds, my music and movie selections are now enormous due to my living condition. \nI now know someone in every corner of the country. I have also made a connection with women on a national level. These are the same women who may be interviewing me in the future. If I need help studying for a test to get me that degree, I don't even have to leave my house.\n And what about philanthropy? When else will the same guys accused of being "drunk conformists" forfeit three days of sleep for the children at Riley Hospital? My house alone raised $41,000 for the children, not to mention the grand total of Dance Marathon exceeding $400,000. \n The truth is a house is a collection of individuals who wish to exit their comfort zones to experience something new. I realize stereotypes are often hard to break. I understand people who hate things they have never been a part of because I was once that way. I wasted a lot of time laughing at people who have done amazing things for organizations in need. I used to mock girls who are so dedicated to obtaining a required GPA that they forfeit Friday nights to study. Now I understand.