Australian adjusts to life in U.S.

Freshman Sharna Nelson's first experience with snow was not a good one. Having never seen snow before, Nelson didn't know what to expect. She knew it was soft on top but didn't realize it is was so soft underneath.\n"I stepped right in it and I sunk right through," said Nelson, who came to IU to join the women's water polo team. "I had snow up to my knee. I hate snow and always complain about it. I hate having to put on multiple layers just to go outside."\nNelson is from Australia, where she said the coldest temperatures get down to 40 or 50 degrees. Her only other American experience was a trip to California, where the climate is similar to her own. Having been here only two months, Nelson has had to adjust to a lot of new things. Senior Kirsten Mayberry said she thinks Nelson has done a good job so far.\n"She's adjusted really well," Mayberry said. "She gets along real well with everyone on the team. Her play adds a lot to our team."\nCoach Barry King agreed that Nelson has done a great good adjusting, considering she's only been here since January.\n"It always takes a little bit of time to adjust to what your teammates do," King said. "She had to get used to playing with different people. She only had three weeks from the time she arrived to the time we had our first match."\nNelson's road to IU was not a typical one. Instead of being recruited to come play, Nelson contacted the school. Nelson knew that IU would be a great place for her. She was not only drawn to the team but also to the academics.\n"I felt the coaches and players were friendly, but the school was right as well," Nelson said. "My parents and I knew it would be a good school."\nAssistant coach Matt Anderson had connections through the United States Youth Program and inquired about Nelson. Through these connections, the coaching staff was able to talk to some people in Australia about her.\n"We got some good recommendations about her," King said. "There was a hole on our team that she could fill. It was a good risk on both our parts, our inviting her and her coming here."\nThrough 12 games, Nelson has shown many of the signs that got the coaching staff excited about her play. She is second on the team in shots, second in goals and third in assists. Her performance at the Princeton Invite in February earned her Collegiate Water Polo Association Player of the Week.\nKing said she believes Nelson's success comes from her very accurate shot and the depth at which she can score.\n"She gives us a consistent threat from the outside," King said. "We really needed that. She's very strong defensively as well. She has great vision."\nWith her success, Nelson has been receiving e-mails from friends who want to know about the States. She said that many are interested in playing here.\n"My friends back home say they want to come over here," Nelson said. "Who knows? We may have a whole bunch of Australians on the team next year"