Umphrey's McGee performs Friday

Tomorrow, Chicago-based band Umphrey's McGee will entertain Umphreaks (the PC term for Umphrey-crazed fans) and music lovers alike at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. For $12-$14, both the traveling fans and Bloomingtonites will be able to catch the jamband in the Buskirk's intimate setting. \nFormed in 1997, Umphrey's McGee hails from South Bend, where five of the six obtained degrees from Notre Dame, three of those in music. Since their original debut as a four-piece, the musicians have expanded to now include guitar, bass, percussion, keyboards and moog in their sets. The band's sound resembles Phish and moe., with members claiming influences that range from Frank Zappa to the Beastie Boys. The band has come quite a way from its days in South Bend, and has opened for Maceo Parker and Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. \nUnafraid of the Internet, much of the band's popularity arose from downloadable tunes. The band's manager even once encouraged fans to download, burn and distribute CDs to friends and passersby in Colorado before the band toured the state, resulting in more people attending the shows. \nUmphrey's McGee is now preparing for its fourth album release in February, according to the band's Web site (www.umphreys.com). This will be the group's first studio album, the previous discs being recorded live. \nCatch Umphrey's McGee at 9 p.m. (doors open at 8 p.m.) Friday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre. Tickets are $12 in advance, $14 at the door.