Team wins 2, needs time to heal

The IU men's tennis team wanted to win both matches Saturday. It got its wish. \nThe Hoosiers (5-1) defeated the Southwest Missouri State Bears 4-3 and Murray State Racers 5-2 at the Tennis Center. IU was hampered by injuries but fought through them. \nAgainst the Bears (0-2), the Hoosiers won four singles matches in straight sets. Senior Milan Rakvica was victorious 6-4, 7-5 in No. 1 singles over Pavel Hanek, and freshman Jakub Praibis cruised 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2. IU lost the doubles point for the first time this season. However, Praibis and freshman Reid Strand won 8-3 at No. 3. \nCoach Ken Hydinger wasn't pleased with his team's effort against the Bears.\n"We have to control about how we think and how much effort we give. We have to play the calls. It doesn't do any good to think about the past," Hydinger said. "In sports, I'm tired of coaches who carry the kids' weaknesses." \nJunior Zach Held said the team was unaware.\n"We didn't prepare like we were supposed to. We stole one today," Held said. "If you can win when you're at your worst, then I guess you're a pretty good team." \nDespite the Hoosiers' inconsistency, players stepped up. Praibis filled in at No. 2 for the injured senior Rahman Smiley, who had a sore back and didn't practice all week. \n"He (Praibis) has a real sense for the game and is playing awfully well right now," Hydinger said.\nSenior Ari Widlansky filled in at No. 5 singles and freshmen Tom Bagnato at No. 4. Widlansky won 6-3, 6-3 and Bagnato was victorious 6-2, 6-1.\nWidlansky was pleased with his performance against Missouri State.\n"I'm playing tough. Mentally tough," Widlansky said. "I kept a lot of balls in play."\nBagnato was pleased with his effort, too.\n"My serve was good. I tried not to look at the fact that I was playing at No. 4," Bagnato said. "I tried to look past the numbers." \nThe Hoosiers, however, weren't without their setbacks. Freshmen Ryan Recht had a groin injury, and freshmen Jon Magnes forgot his rackets, Hydinger said. In addition, Held had to default because of a calf injury at No. 3 singles. \nLater Saturday afternoon, IU defeated the Racers (2-2).\nThe tattered Hoosiers fielded a singles line-up that was without the injured Held and Recht and a doubles line-up minus No. 1 doubles player Smiley. Recht and Held played the doubles injured, while Smiley played the singles hurt.\nA happier Hydinger was proud of his team after the victory.\n"They faced a lot of adversity all day long," he said. "They stuck with it and got the job done." \nThe Hoosiers received quality play from their seniors. Widlansky (3-0 spring) cruised 6-0, 6-2; an injured Smiley won 6-4, 7-5; and Rakvica (5-1 spring) boasted a 6-2, 6-4 victory at No.1 over Nikoola Arcic. \n"Milan beat a really good opponent today," Hydinger said. "We had never beaten that guy until today. Milan is playing some awfully good tennis right now."\nRakvica is 11-5 overall this season and sits alone in seventh place on IU's all-time singles wins list with 84.\nThe freshmen followed in the experienced players' footsteps. Bagnato won 6-0, 6-2, and Praibis won 7-5, 6-3. Jon Magnes didn't fare as well, losing in straight sets. \nPraibis (5-1 spring) talked about players filling in at different spots.\n"It's good to change it. There's not a big difference. I'm really happy we won today," Praibis said. \nJust as to the Bears, IU lost the doubles point against the Racers. But Recht and Widlansky were victorious 8-3 at No. 3. Held and Rakvica lost at No. 1, while Praibis and Strand were defeated at No. 2.\nBagnato (4-1 spring) won again, this time 6-0, 6-2 at No. 5.\nThe Hoosiers return to the court Sunday Feb. 10 against Vanderbilt at the Indiana Tennis Center, a match Hydinger emphasized after the contests Saturday.\n"We have a big match Sunday versus Vanderbilt," he said. "We aren't rolling yet"