Team falls to No. 2 Iowa

Wrestlers come up short after close matches

In front of nearly 5,000 spectators, the IU wrestling team dropped a tough match against No. 2 Iowa 26-12. IU (8-11, 0-7 Big Ten) won only three matches but came close in several others. \nThree matches were decided by four points or less against an Iowa team (15-4, 5-2) that has nine wrestlers ranked in the top 20.\nJunior Greg Schaefer started off the day with a victory over No. 6 Luke Eustice, giving the Hoosiers the early lead. Schaefer, who had dropped his previous two matches, pinned Eustice in 1:24. Schaefer said this victory was the result of staying positive through the tough matches.\n"I had some pretty bad matches in a row," he said. "I worked in things that I was doing right and things I was doing wrong. I prepared for the end of the season. I've had confidence in myself all year, but I still have to wrestle tough."\nHead coach Duane Goldman said Schaefer executed well and broke a close match wide open. He also said as a team, the Hoosiers wrestled really well against the No. 2 team in the country.\n"(Viktor) Sveda needs to start a little sooner," Goldman said. "(Jason) Bader stepped in and fought hard. (Pat) DeGain dominated his match but gave up some freshman mistakes that made the match close."\nSveda battled No. 5 Jessman Smith. Although Sveda fell into an early hole, he was able to pull out the 7-4 victory.\n"I'm used to (falling behind early)," Sveda said. "I've always done that. But with the crowd, I was able to fight back. It kind of woke me up."\nSenior Brian Smiley dropped a close match to No. 5 Cliff Moore. Sophomore Coyte Cooper also fell in a tight match, 8-5. DeGain recorded a win on the day by defeating Trey Clark 6-5. \nIn the final match of the day, senior D.J. Radnovich took on the No.1 heavyweight in the country, Steve Mocco. A controversial moment occurred when Radnovich apparently pinned Mocco, but the call was not made. Radnovich lost 7-5.\nRadnovich's performance was one of several that pleased Sveda.\n"Coming in here against the number two team, we did well," he said. "If some matches go the other way, we could have been right up there with them. It shows that we are improving."\nSchaefer was also impressed.\n"For the most part, the guys did really well," he said. "The guys got in early holes but couldn't finish. Overall, we battled pretty well."\nThe Hoosiers will be in action next Friday against Eastern Illinois in their final home match of the year. The final Big Ten match will be against Northwestern next Sunday.