Hoosiers shut out Buckeyes

IU finishes Big Ten undefeated for sixth consecutive year

It may not have been pretty, but it got the job done.\nThe No. 6 Hoosiers completed the Big Ten regular season undefeated for the sixth consecutive year, with a 1-0 win against No. 20 Ohio State Saturday.\nIU's victory came in the midst of a 34 foul, seven yellow card, and one red card affair, which proved costly for both teams. \nThe Hoosier's (10-3-0, 6-0-0) controlled the game early, and broke through with fewer than 15 minutes off the clock. Sophomore Vijay Dias took a direct kick from the right side of the field, and served the ball to the far post. Senior back Ryan Hammer met the ball with his head, and sent it past Ohio State senior goalkeeper Kerry Thompson. The goal was Hammer's fourth of the season, and gave the Hoosiers what would end up being the game's only goal.\n"There was a definite feeling of revenge after Ohio State beat us in the Big Ten Tournament last season," Hammer said. "We've been planning for this game all season. I don't think we necessarily played our best soccer but we came up with the win."\nWith time running out in the first half, and fouls beginning to add up, Ohio State freshman midfielder Peter Withers received his second yellow card of the evening. The penalty resulted in a red card and gave IU a one-man advantage for the rest of the match.\nDespite being up a man, IU failed to take advantage and could not penetrate a conservatively packed Ohio State defense.\n"I have seen it happen many times that the team that goes a man down works twice as hard, and the team that has an extra player relaxes," said coach Jerry Yeagley. "I would have rather had them have 11 players out there."\nDias said he also saw a drop off in intensity.\n"We came out in the first 30 minutes very aggressive and matched (Ohio State's) intensity," Dias said. "But after they were a man down we became a little bit disorganized and struggled to produce offensively."\nAfter being held scoreless by Notre Dame in the previous game, Yeagley expressed concern of his team's recent offensive output.\n"Right now goals are hard to come by," he said. "We got a goal off a restart tonight, but have not had one from scrimmage in two games. For a while everything was going in, and things were easy. That happens. Hopefully we will become more productive from the field."\nDespite the sputtering offense, the Hoosier defense was once again impenetrable, posting their ninth shutout of the season. IU gave up only one goal against six Big Ten opponents this season.\n"Our play in the final third wasn't where it needed to be," Yeagley said. "When that happens you need to keep working and count on your defense to keep you in the game. Our backs have done the job we need them to do."\nThe victory came with a price for the Hoosiers.\nFreshman starting midfielder Danny O'Rourke received his fifth yellow card of the season, which suspends him for the next game against No. 8 Rutgers.\n"That was very costly," Yeagley said. "Going on the road to play Rutgers without him. I'm not sure who will play there, but he has been a very important part of our team. That was one of the consequences"