Hoosiers look back on season

After Friday night's loss to Purdue eliminated the women's soccer team from a Big Ten postseason berth, the team had a chance to reflect on a season that was memorable. Although IU didn't fulfill their goal of playing in the postseason, the Hoosiers (7-7-1, 3-6-1) did have a productive and enjoyable season.\nThis season, the Hoosiers began with a 5-1-1 start, the best in team history, but concluded with a five-game losing streak to close out the conference season. With two games this weekend against border rivals Kentucky and Ohio, many players reflected on a season that will be remembered by the coaches and players for years to come, not only for the team's intense battles on the field, but by the quality time spent off of it as friends.\nSophomore back Carly Everett said her most memorable experience of the season was when two of her teammates, sophomores Shelly Gruszka and Shaunna Daugherty, took her to a lake for her birthday. She remembers it being one of the most special birthdays she had, as her and two of her teammates just had time to relax and reflect on everything but soccer. \nDaugherty agreed with Everett, saying the day was one of the most memorable of the season for her, too.\n"For Carly's birthday, we knew that she would appreciate taking her somewhere, so we took her to this lake," she said. "Carly really appreciated things for what they are, and we knew that she would love this. We had a picnic for her, and it had nothing to do with soccer. It was a really great time."\nEverett also reflected on a late August preseaon game at Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne where the Ft. Wayne native was able to return home with her teammates.\n"I had the entire team over, and we had a huge cookout," she said. "It was great having the whole team there, to see my hometown and play a game there."\nAnother moment that Everett said she would never forget from this season was when the team went to Notre Dame Sept. 7 and lost to the Irish 2-1 in overtime.\n"The setting there was great. We lost, but we played well and really connected as a team," Everett said.\nEverett wasn't the only player who alluded to that game. Freshman Kara Kornfeld rated the Notre Dame game as her best memory from the season. \n"We played so well at Notre Dame" Kornfeld said. "We were so pumped up for that game. We played our best game of the year and almost upset one of the best teams out there." \nThe Notre Dame game was special for the team because at the time IU was undefeated and was playing a team that was ranked third in the country, and had accumulated 96 wins in their last 100 home matches. The Hoosiers took that game to overtime, before yielding a golden goal to lose a match they mostly dominated.\nSenior Stacey Peterson, an Elkhart, Ind., native said she remembers that homecoming game being special.\n"Being back in my hometown, playing against the school that I wanted to go to, with people there cheering for me was great" Peterson said. "My mom had 85 people there rooting for us, and we were able to compete against a top team, and it showed that we would be a competitive team."\nAnother memory Peterson had was IU's upset of Wisconsin on September 23. Wisconsin was ranked, and the Hoosiers went into Madison and upset the Badgers 1-0.\n"Coming back to score in the final moments was a relief because we worked so hard for that game. It was a great win for all the hard work we put in," Peterson said.\nThe Hoosiers also shared a special bond off the field this season. \nKornfeld said that collegiate soccer was a lot of hard work, and more work then she ever expected. She said she had a fun time though this year, and thinks all of her hard work paid off. She remembers the road trips being enjoyable.\n"The bus rides were a fun time together to bond. We would talk, watch movies and laugh a lot. It was a great time."\nDaugherty remembers those long road trips, too. \n"On the road trips, we would always play euchre. Carly (Everett) and I would always play. On the way back from Michigan, we were only going to play one game. After one of us lost, we said we would play best of three. Then we played best of five, best of seven and then finally best of nine. It was a goofy time, and it lasted the whole trip." \nDaugherty then made sure to mention as Everett listened on, "Of course I won and broke through, though."\nThis story perhaps captured the essence of this team. Although the Hoosiers were returning from Michigan after two disappointing losses, the team was still loose, and able to have a fun time.\nThe team is more than just teammates. They are roommates and friends, too.\n"This team has fun, gets along and has great camaraderie" Peterson said.\n"We are close friends on and off the field. We got better, and we will continue to get better because we are so close," Kornfeld said.