Delta Gamma faces tough choice

The three teams that comprise Row 2 all finished in the top 10 in last year's women's Little 500. Delta Gamma and Chi Omega each have riders returning from last year, but the 2000 runner-up, Kappa Kappa Gamma, will be the least experienced team in the row with four rookies in their line-up. \nDelta Gamma will be on the inside of the row with Kappa Kappa Gamma in the middle and Chi Omega completing the row. Both Delta Gamma and Chi Omega have at least two seniors and six riders on their pre-race roster. \nDelta Gamma (2:57.83)\nIn last year's race, Delta Gamma moved up 10 spots to finish fifth in the race. With four veteran riders and alumna Katie Baker leading the Delta Gamma team, the riders are looking to improve on their successful run from last year. \nReturning from last year's top five team are seniors Sarah Crider and Lauren Naset, sophomore Valerie Crider and junior Kelly Geiger. Sophomores Susan Dansker and Katie Mackey are the two rookies on the six-member roster. \nGeiger said their improvement in qualifications this year will keep them away from trouble.\n"Our qualification runs the past two years had put us into position for the wreck that occurred on the first lap in 1999 and the third lap in 2000," Geiger said. "We are hoping that a fourth-place qualifying position will keep us off the cinders."\nGary Lucia and assistant coach Robb Awe also help the team in their training that included a trip to Gulf Shores, Ala. \n"The level of motivation and support is very high," Geiger said. "The team has put a lot of training and hard work into this year, and we are anxiously awaiting April 20."\nKappa Kappa Gamma (2:59.03)\nUnlike Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma has no returning riders from last year's runner-up team. Sophomores Meg Haney and Jessica Groth and freshmen Talia Foster and Alison Edwards are all rookies in this year's race but put up a qualifying time that was fast enough for fifth overall and will be starting in the middle of Row 2. \nWhile the team hasn't been in the top five in the series events, they are currently 11th in the points standings and Edwards placed a time of 3:03.71 in Individual Time Trials that was good for 29th overall. \n"Even though we have big shoes to fill, I think people will be quite impressed come race day," Haney said. \nThis is the fifth year in a row that Kappa Kappa Gamma has started in the top 10. They have finished in the top five every year since 1995, including wins in 1996, 1998 and 1999.\nChi Omega (2:59.55)\nChi Omega is the second team in Row 2 with six riders on its roster. Seniors Amy Shurr, Katie Schwartz, Emily Kiefer, Kristi North and sophomores Brittney Virgin and Kat Hays are riding for last year's seventh-place team. \nShurr said the experience that comes will help Chi Omega Friday.\n"We value our experienced riders, our determined rookies and our ability to always have a great time," Shurr said.\nShurr also said the team has some race day strategy, but she doesn't expect it to matter much in the race.\n"Just because you plan something one way doesn't mean it's going to happen," Shurr said. "We'll take whatever comes to us. You have to come in well-prepared and with confidence. We expect to improve upon our last year's seventh-place finish"