Knight lawyer files intent to sue IU

A lawyer for former men's basketball coach Bob Knight sent a letter to IU last week saying Knight intends to sue IU President Myles Brand and the IU board of trustees. In the letter, Knight lawyer Russell Yates cites damages of more than $7 million.\n The notice of intent to sue, obtained today from the University, cites slander, libel, defamation and tortious interference with contracts, stemming from "wrongful termination." It also cites violations of Indiana's Open Door laws and intentional infliction of emotional distress.\n Yates said a lawsuit will be filed if the University won't negotiate.\n "I still hope we can resolve it, but (Brand) seems to be dragging his feet in talking to us," Yates said. "We got tired of waiting, and we didn't want to run up against the deadline."\n Friday will be 180 days after Knight's Sept. 10 termination, the deadline for filing intent to sue claims, Yates said. He said Knight now has up to two years to file a lawsuit.\n After 29 years as coach, Knight was fired by Brand for repeated violations of a "zero-tolerance" policy imposed by the University.\n University spokeswoman Susan Dillman said she hopes Knight does not choose to pursue the claim further. She emphasized that the letter is a notice of intent, not a lawsuit.\n "We were disappointed and taken aback to hear the allegations contained in the notice of tort claim," Dillman said. "The charges are frivolous and totally without merit."\n Dillman would not comment on whether the University will negotiate with Knight.\n The University counsel's office referred all questions to Dillman.\n In his letter, Yates said actions by Brand and the board of trustees since September 2000 have violated Knight's rights. \n "The resulting damages to Mr. Knight include lost income, pain and suffering, mental humiliation and interference with his ability to obtain subsequent employment, all totaling in excess of $7 million," Yates wrote. \n Yates declined to comment on what prompted specific charges in the document.