History repeating for Hoosiers

Another tie with Michigan State eliminates IU from tournament; Spartans advance to semifinals

FISHERS, Ind. -- The Hoosiers were eliminated from the 1999 American Collegiate Hockey League Division II National Championship Tournament because of a tiebreaker. IU and Michigan State ended their battle in a 3-3 tie. Michigan State had scored 18 goals in the tournament, while IU had 17. So, despite the tie, the Spartans advanced to the semifinals.\nThe same scenario unfolded again this year. \nTo advance to the tournament's semifinal round Friday at the Fishers Ice Forum, the Hoosiers again had to defeat Michigan State. Although the Hoosiers arguably had the edge the entire game, the teams were forced to settle for a 1-1 tie, and once again, Michigan State advanced.\n"We're cursed," assistant coach and general manager Alex Kyrias said after the game.\nMore than 1,000 people crammed into the Forum to watch the Hoosiers and Spartans tangle. The Spartans had swept the Hoosiers in a late January series in Michigan. With emotions on the brink, the two teams fought throughout Friday's game.\nWith 8:43 remaining in the second period, Michigan State finally put a shot past sophomore goalie Charlie Pulley. Pulley allowed only one goal on 30 shots at the net Friday.\n"I was happy with the way I played, and I was happy with the way the team played," Pulley said. "We had our chances in overtime, but they just had enough to hang on."\nIU didn't hesitate to fire back. With 6:00 on the clock in the second period, IU capitalized on a 5-on-4 power play when junior forward Matt Voll fired a shot at Michigan State goalie freshman Sean Huberty, who blocked the shot, tried to sit on it and accidentally pushed it into the Spartan net to tie the contest 1-1. Voll was assisted by junior forward Gordy Haggard and freshman forward David Dassell.\nDespite several scoring opportunities for both teams, no one managed to score throughout the remainder of regulation. Allotted a 10-minute overtime, the intense game continued. \n"I think, in overtime, we pretty much owned them," IU coach Rich Holdeman said. "It was a tough way to go out."\nThe Hoosiers outshot the Spartans 9-1 in overtime but failed to move the puck past the goal line. The Hoosiers had possession almost the entire extra period, but IU never got a break.\n"We played well, but it's hard to be happy when you lost," junior forward and assistant captain Bryan Grant said. "We outplayed them, but their goalie just came up big. You have to give him a lot of credit."\nThe Hoosiers finished with a tournament record of 1-0-2 after a 5-4 overtime win against Utah Wednesday and a 5-5 tie with New York University Thursday. As in 1999, only two teams in the tournament were undefeated -- champion Life University and IU.\nDespite the disappointing situation, the Hoosiers kept their heads up after the game.\n"I couldn't be (more proud) of the way the team played," Holdeman said. "I'm very disappointed for the players' sake, but I can't be upset with the way we played."\nThe end of the season also marks the end of a Hoosier era. Although the team is losing few seniors, Brad Lutsch, IU's all-time leader in points, goals, assists and penalty minutes, is one of them. Lutsch leaves to pursue a career with the Indianapolis Ice.\n"It's disappointing because we didn't lose the game," Lutsch said. "It's just tough ... to be in the national championship tournament, and to have the game end in a tie. It's disappointing, but we're still proud of the way all the guys played. Everyone really stepped up"