Arts contest accepting student entries

One local artist could win $10,000 this May. \nApplications are due Jan. 31 for the 2001 Showcase of the Arts Annual Competition from the National Society of Arts and Letters. The Bloomington chapter of NSAL, a nonprofit organization designed to create opportunities for young artists, was formed in 1966. It has been active locally and encourages young artists to enter this competition in one of five divisions: Visual Arts, Dance, Drama, Music and Literature.\nThis year prize money will range from $100-$1000 locally, topping last year's high of $750.\n"(I enjoy) getting acquainted with very talented and dedicated students," music competition co-chair Catherine Smith said.\nSmith, a retired piano instructor at Eastern Illinois University, said what makes the NSAL competition different from others is its inclusion of five categories. She said she sees the competition as a promoter of the arts and a notable way for students to achieve success. Smith said she expects about 30 entries in the music category.\nAlthough including all arts, this year's competition focus is small sculpture, with the national winner being presented an award of $10,000 in May in Pittsburgh, Penn. Visual Arts contestants must be between 18 and 29 years old as of May 18, and must submit two examples of work in any medium. The works cannot be of the same subject matter and two-dimensional work must not exceed 50-inches-by-50-inches.\nDancers will compete in ballet. Judges will look at technique, physique, musicality and performance presentation. Contestants between the ages of 15 and 25 will compete at noon Feb. 25 at the School of Music. \nIn Drama, actors must present two monologues, one classical and one modern, from a full-length play. Memorized and in English, the total performance time cannot exceed eight minutes. Music contestants must perform in three of the following areas: Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Contemporary. Auditions are not to exceed 12 minutes and applicants must bring an accompanist if needed. Vocalists must include an operatic aria and an art song, one of which must be in English. Composers should consult with one of the music chairs.\nWinners will perform and have their work exhibited April 8, and have a reception at the John Waldron Arts Center, 122 S. Walnut St. \nFor the Literature competition, applicants must submit a chapter of a novel, 10 pages of poetry, a complete short fiction or one-act play, one act of a play, a TV script or a non-fiction piece of literary merit.\nMore information and applications are available at: Pygmalion's Art Supplies, 108 N. Grant St.; Friends of Art Bookshop, Fine Arts Building; John Waldron Arts Center office; Ballet Department, Musical Arts Center; Department of Theatre, Room 225, Musical Arts Center, Room 426; Graduate English office, Ballantine Hall or call 332-1322.