No such luck

Travolta, Kudrow\'s numbers don\'t come up with new film

In the new film "Lucky Numbers," playing the Pennsylvania state lottery can be not only dangerous but insanely painful to watch. The star power of John Travolta and Lisa Kudrow as well as the famed directing of Nora Ephron can do nothing to help move this film along.

Lucky Numbers - R
Starring:
John Travolta, Lisa Kudrow and Ed O'Neill
Directed by:
Nora Ephron
Now playing:
Showplace East 11

"Lucky Numbers" is a black comedy about a Harrisburg, Penn., weatherman named Russ Richards (Travolta), who dreams of becoming a game show host like Bob Barker. In this podunk town, Richards is worshipped, and the local Denny's has a reserved booth complete with velvet ropes where Richards can eat his breakfast and be adored by fans. He soon finds himself on financial hard times. Travolta conspires with lotto hostess Crystal, played by Lisa Kudrow, to rig the state lottery. The only problem with the plan is finding a neutral person to claim the winnings. After some brainstorming, the perfect man is found in Lisa's cousin Walter, played by Michael Moore. Warning: he is the only comic relief in this film. Moore is famous for his documentary "Roger and Me" and is surprisingly funny as a wheezing, clueless cousin of Crystal's. The movie then explores this plan and what unravels in this small town. The first problem with this film is the lack of chemistry between Travolta and Kudrow. At first her character is ballsy and forward, but soon Kudrow reverts back to type, playing a ditsy woman similar to "Friends'" Phoebe Buffay. Travolta is tight and constricted in his character. There is no depth in any character in the film, and the audience has nothing invested in the outcome of the plot. Speaking of the plot, it is contrived and simply not funny. After films such as "There's Something about Mary," Hollywood assumes that the only way to be funny is through graphic gross-out humor. However, the only thing humorous in this film is wondering why on earth these two actors chose to accept their roles. The final problem is Nora Ephron. She gained fame directing and writing hits like "Sleepless in Seattle" and "You\'ve Got Mail." She excels at romantic, classic-looking films, and this one is neither of the above. She should stick to pairing Tom and Meg instead of John and Lisa.