Johnson giving Senate campaign 100% effort

Democratic candidate embraces difficult race

David Johnson is playing the odds.\nDespite an almost overwhelming public perception that no one can defeat incumbent Sen. Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), Johnson, the Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate, is standing resolutely on his platform for Congressional change.\n"I believe very strongly that it's important for hardworking citizens to offer themselves for public service," said Johnson, an Indianapolis lawyer. "I don't think that politics ought to be simply carried out by politicians."\nThis belief is why one of Johnson's major policy points in this election is campaign finance reform. He said that as the challenger in an expensive race, he has become keenly aware of the millions of dollars candidates around the country are spending to win their political offices.\n"The role of money in getting candidates elected has really gotten out of control," Johnson said. "I want to try to take big money out of politics."\nSenior Marc Kelly, former vice president of the IU College Democrats, said he supports Johnson's attack on campaign financing.\n"He really is trying to get the elections into the hands of the little guy again," Kelly said. "Although this doesn't seem like an important issue to students, campaign finance reform would really help us inherit a political system that is more democratic and fair for all people."\nWhile the funding dilemma is important to him, Johnson has also set his sights on reforming the American education system.\n"We all need to be focusing first on education," Johnson said. "Washington, D.C., can be doing better to help educate our kids, but this is not a question that Washington has all the answers for."\nSome suggestions Johnson has made regarding education include making sure that there are enough teachers in classrooms, and that school buildings are outfitted with the most modern equipment. To improve higher education, Johnson has suggested a targeted tax cut in conjunction with tax credits for families. These changes, he said, would insure that parents are financially able to send their kids to college.\n"Whether (parents) are college-educated or not," Johnson said, "they want their kids to have that opportunity."\nDuring the past few months, Johnson has traveled around the state, talking with voters and listening to their concerns. Among their top responses have been doubts about national programs that affect Hoosier senior citizens.\n"The issues that we've talked about tend to be ones that involve older Americans, Johnson said, "primarily because that's where the federal programs have been that aren't working very well right now."\nJohnson said he believes Social Security and Medicare are two programs that need improvement.\n"We can do that," he said, "by being sure that we're not taking money out and using it for other purposes."\nLaura Walda, a freshman member of College Democrats, said education and attention to federal programming are areas in which the Democratic candidate can shine. Walda compared Johnson's goals to Lugar's voting record, which has recently come under fire for what Democrats are calling inconsistencies.\n"Sen. Lugar has been highly regarded by many Indiana residents over the years, and he has enormous popularity," Walda said. "One thing that continues to puzzle me is the fact that his appeal to families doesn't entirely match his voting record. He has voted for tax cuts that would cut Medicare, child nutrition programs, and more importantly for IU students, student loans."\nWalda said Johnson's plan would offer more financial help to those in need of prescription drugs, as well as increased health care aid for low-income families.\nWhile Johnson has many Democratic supporters throughout Indiana, he is still trailing Lugar in the tracking polls. Members of his staff agree that it all comes down to this last week on the campaign trail.\n"Things are very busy," said campaign press secretary Doshia Stewart. "This is the time when every vote counts. And even though it's hard work, meeting the voters helps to re-energize all of us."\nFor more information about U.S. Senate candidate David Johnson, visit him on the Web at www.davidjohnson2000.com.