Funk-fueled band to perform at Axis

Fishbone will fill Axis, 419 N. Walnut St., with funk Wednesday night, entertaining a crowd of college students after spending time recording with the likes of Perry Farrell, the Red Hot Chili Pepper's Flea, John Fusciante and Chad Smith, Gwen Stefani and George Clinton. \nA funk group with ska, punk, reggae and soul blends that was formed 20 years ago, Fishbone has had many experiences of fame since its nationwide debut in 1985 with "Party at Ground Zero." The band has graced the stages of "Saturday Night Live," "Late Night with Conan O'Brian" and Lollapalooza. \nIn a biography, singer Angelo Moore said the band started out playing Rick James and Led Zeppelin covers. Fishbone was also a part of the early '80s L.A. music scene with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, whom they joined on tour this year. \nOf the original setup, only three remain. Moore on vocals, Norwood Fisher on bass and vocals and Walter "Dirty Walt" Kibby II on trumpet and vocals have been together since middle school. Other members include Spacey T. on guitar, John McKnight on trumpet and organ, and John Steward on drums. \nThe band has gone through more changes than just the musician lineup. In a press release front man Moore said, "Right now, Fishbone is going through another period of reincarnation. We're remaking ourselves like Freddie Krueger, like a phoenix rising from the ashes … It's that whole blood transfusion, Frankenstein job, and it always takes a little time to adjust to a new organ. But it's happening, and we're ready to go." \nPerhaps this "blood transfusion" is what gave Fishbone the inspiration to produce its most recent album, "Fishbone and the Familyhood Nextperience Presents the Psychotic Friends Nuttwerx," a collaboration between the band and a variety of musicians such as Farrell, Flea, Fusciante, Smith, Stefani and Clinton. This year the band took off on tour, which includes a stop in Indianapolis Tuesday. \nAxis manager David Kubiak said it is impossible to guess what the exact turnout would be, although he believes there will be a good showing since there has been support in Bloomington for funk music, citing local band Danagas as an example.\nDoors open at 7:30 p.m. and the show begins at 9 p.m. with Primitive Reason opening. Cover charge is $13.