1 goal of 22 attempts gets IU the win over Butler

INDIANAPOLIS -- Butler goalkeeper Jason Richarz was like a stubborn brick wall, denying nearly every scoring chance the men's soccer team had Friday night.\nHe trapped, smacked and swatted away each ball that came near him -- until sophomore midfielder Pat Noonan scurried past defenders and tucked a goal past Richarz with five minutes left in the game.\nNoonan's fifth goal of the season was his fourth game-winner and sealed IU's 1-0 win against Butler (4-9). The goal was only one of IU's 22 shots to get past Richarz.\n"It was one of the best games of my collegiate careers," said Richarz, a junior. "But overall, I'm just disappointed. A couple minutes of shutdown just ruins the game."\nIU (9-3) outshot the Bulldogs 22-8, but for the fourth time in five games, the Hoosiers couldn't score until the final seven minutes.\nThe tally could have been 8-0 if IU hadn't missed its wide-open shots, lost its dribbling near goal or hurried its attempts, coach Jerry Yeagley said.\n"It was frustrating to get the chances we did," he said. "I mean, some of them were easier to make than to miss."\nSophomore forward Michael Bock could have had three assists, including two on potential goals by Noonan. Junior Ryan Mack and Noonan could have had a hat trick apiece, Yeagley said. Instead, Richarz, the goal's crossbar and the goal's posts got in the way of any ball reaching the back of the net.\n"We were moving the ball well, and we had their defense figured out in the beginning, and we had the opportunities," said Noonan, who combined with Mack for seven shots. "We just weren't composed in the final third. We could have had a couple goals."\nSophomore midfielder Marcus Chorvat, who assisted on Noonan's goal, had two solid scoring chances in the first half. Chorvat received a pass from Noonan and then popped the ball right into Richarz' hands. Four minutes later, Chorvat hit the ball over the crossbar of a wide-open net.\n"The second one, I thought the center was going to clear that for sure, and then it was just a surprise it went over his head," Chorvat said. "It unfortunately hit me in the knee and just went over."\nAfter he stood to watch another shot go wide late in the second half, Yeagley rubbed his forehead with a gloved hand then leaned on the fence behind the bench. Five minutes later, Mack showed equal desperation after a shot bounced off Richarz' hands.\nIU's scoring chances flourished off a Butler defense that played four marking backs. The Hoosiers, on the other hand, played with their usual 3-5-2 system. Junior Colin Rogers started his second consecutive game as goalkeeper and made three saves. The defense allowed just eight Butler shots.\nDespite the unyielding defense, it would have been comforting to score more goals, Yeagley said.\n"I wanted them to go and get two more in the last five minutes," Yeagley said. "But I was pleased with so much (Friday night), and yet there were some things if we want to achieve our goals this year -- and everyone knows what the Indiana goals are. We've got to get sharper"