Wells archives opened in library

Symposium honors late chancellor's legacy

The Main Library was transformed last night, as nearly 200 people filled the lobby to attend a symposium to honor the archives of the late Herman B Wells.\nThroughout Wells' career with IU he saved a huge assortment of papers, including his correspondences, meeting notes and records. These materials, which are now organized and available to the public, span 1,100 linear feet (600 file drawers) within the IU Archives. \nPlanning for the symposium began one year ago. Scheduled for March, it was postponed because of Wells' death. The symposium was originally planned to honor Wells' archives and his dedication to higher education, and that focus was maintained in spite of his death.\nEric Bartheld, a library employee who helped plan the symposium, said the openness and accessibility of the event was what Wells would have wanted.\n"While guests were listening, students were walking through," he said. "We wanted to encourage those kind of casual attendees and passers-by to listen to the event. They did, and that was great."\nBartheld added that students could learn about Wells from the speeches and by exploring the archives.\n"Herman Wells was president at a time when today's students weren't necessarily around," he said. "So he exists in some ways from what they learn through others' stories. So much of what we can still learn about him is part of his collection in the archives."\nJames Capshew, a history and philosophy professor, spoke first. He was also on the planning committee of the symposium and is working on a biography of Wells. He said the event focused on higher education, and not Wells, in keeping with the wishes of the late chancellor.\n"He wasn't a person who would like a whole lot of attention paid to him," Capshew said. "Obviously, there was a lot of warmth in the remarks anyway, especially from the people who knew him and remembered him. It was very touching."\nPhilip Bantin, director of the University Archives, said in his opening remark that without question, Wells left behind a large number of records.\n"Wells had every characteristic of a pack rat," he said. "He never saw a paper he didn't like. And his archives are now officially open for those who wish to become better acquainted with a great man."\nAlso making an opening remark was President Myles Brand. He said Wells' papers express a belief in the power of knowledge.\n"We've now given the library a new treasure," he said. "His papers contained here will keep the relationship between Wells and the University vital and alive for generations to come."\nAfter Brand, Chancellor and Vice President for Academic Affairs Kenneth Gros Louis took the podium. He said Wells' confidence in the rightness of his cause, even when others disagreed, continues to be an inspiration.\nThe next five speakers praised Wells, but focused more on higher education. \nHugh Hawkins, professor of history and American studies at Amherst College, spoke first, addressing the history of higher education. He said most academic history happens in the office of the president.\n"Wells stood for a distinct step on a well-defined educational ladder," he said.\nRobert O'Neil, the director of The Thomas Jefferson Center for the Protection of Free Expression at the University of Virginia, spoke next on the future of higher education. O'Neil is a former IU vice president, serving in the late 1970s. \nHe said three key elements were important to a strong future of higher education: promoting diversity, protecting academic freedom and academic excellence. \n"We mustn\'t forget what happens in the classroom remains the core of higher education," he said.\nHelen Horowitz of Smith College spoke after O'Neil about the importance of history in knowledge of higher education. She said she was intrigued by Wells' archives.\n"It is in these kinds of archives where the most important questions are answered," she said.\nJohn Thelin, professor of the history of higher education and public policy at the University of Kentucky, spoke about building support for the University. \nThelin said he enjoyed speaking at the symposium and listening to the other speakers. He said the archives are treasures to the University.\n"You can learn that the history of the University is not a spectator sport," he said about investigating the new archives. "It's hands-on, active, and there are so many untold stories to uncover. If students will avail themselves to that, they'll be pleasantly rewarded."\nDean of Students Richard McKaig said he thought all the speeches were interesting and inspiring. \n"I gained a renewed appreciation for Herman Wells and what he meant to higher education," he said. "Those of us at IU who had the opportunity to work with or see the work of Chancellor Wells obviously had a great appreciation for him. To hear someone from an outside perspective speak about the contribution he made to higher education in general, and the importance of the collection of his work for further studies in higher education, was very interesting"