Junior realizes his lifelong dream of being cast in 'Rent'

The only thing missing is the glass slipper.\nJunior Justin Johnston is living out his lifelong dream of being an entertainer in what he calls "a Cinderella story." After pursuing a major in telecommunications and a minor in music at IU for three years, he is leaving Bloomington to join the national touring company of the Tony Award-winning musical "Rent." \nBeginning Oct. 3, he will take over the ensemble role of Paul ' an energetic, eccentric character who Johnston said reminds him of himself.\nJohnston, and about 300 other Broadway hopefuls, auditioned for representatives of the Bernard-Telsey Casting Agency in an open casting call Sept. 29 at the IU Auditorium. Five of those 300, including Johnston, were called back numerous times; but only Johnston was cast from the Bloomington call.\nAlthough Johnston said he has long dreamed of being a singer and a dancer, he said he did not expect to land a role. \n"At first, I just wanted to do this for the experience... I had not yet seen (the show)," Johnston said. "But they called me back six times. I started getting really excited about that... six times."\nThose Bloomington callbacks led to two New York auditions for the "Rent" management team. The first, on Oct. 21, led to an additional audition for the Tim Rice/Elton John-penned "Aida." Although Johnston said he learned from the experience and made important career connections, he was not cast in either musical.\n"I know I did a wonderful job... the woman who got me the audition told me 'They really, really liked you,'" Johnston said. "But it wasn't the right time."\nSo Johnston came back to Bloomington and enrolled in summer classes, ready to continue with his college career. But then the management team called Johnston back for yet another callback... the one that would ultimately change the course of his life.\nJohnston's career on the boards started at an early age in his hometown of Gary.\n"I did regional theater," Johnston said. "I worked with the West Side Theater Guild. They brought acts like Bill Cosby... Maya Angelou. They set the standard for me."\nBut one thing was standing in the way of Johnston and his dreams: finances. He struggled with the costs of airfare, food and lodging in New York, not sure that he would be able to make the final audition. And that's when his fairy godmothers came into play.\nThe African-American Arts Institute, the African-American Choral Ensemble and the African-American Dance Company provided Johnston with the funds and support he needed to get to New York and land the part.\n"They really treated me like I was their brother," Johnston said. "I just want to give back to them. If anything, I can dedicate each performance to them."\nJohnston cited African-American Dance Company Director and Assistant Professor of Afro-American Studies Iris Rosa and African-American Choral Ensemble Director James E. Mumford as being the driving forces behind the groups' effort on his behalf. He said without the support of the groups, he never would have made it to the final audition.\n"I am so grateful to them," he said.\nJohnston said the final audition went very well, but the experience was worthwhile even if he hadn't been cast.\n"I never went there thinking 'If I don't get this, it's a waste,'" Johnston said. "It is not a waste. I loved meeting all the people... making all the connections."\nJohnston's first chance to dedicate his performance to the people who helped him along the way and to use his newfound experience will be Sept. 19, when he joins the touring cast in Michigan for two weeks of rehearsal. His first performance as Paul will be Oct. 3 in Fort Wayne. \n"I can't wait. I am so excited," Johnston said.\nJohnston said he learned valuable skills in his IU classes, and he has many people in Bloomington to thank for where he is today. He also had advice and encouragement for fellow theater hopefuls.\n"Never doubt yourself," Johnston said. "I don't want to say it's just luck... but you just never know"