Goalie spectacular as Hoosiers shut out Xavier

In an eight-game span last season, the women's soccer team managed just two goals. Scores by junior Stacey Peterson and sophomore Kate Kastl were all IU had in nearly 25 days.\nThe offense was stagnant.\nBut during those eight games, IU tallied a 0-4-4 record and was in every game except one, a 3-0 loss to Big Ten tournament champ Michigan. The results could have been a lot worse, but the defense kept the Hoosiers close ' specifically the outstretched arms of former goalie Ashley Davis.\nIn her two years of guarding the net, Davis was dominant for the Hoosiers with a 1.07 goals against average in 40 career starts, along with holding team highs for shutouts and victories.\nBut, with Davis graduated and gone, coach Joe Kelley had a big hole to fill for the 2000 season. Senior Chrissy Heubi plugged that hole in the season opener Saturday, stopping all five shots in a 3-0 shutout of Xavier.\n"She made the saves she had to make," Kelley said afterwards. "She didn't have to make a lot of them, but she stepped up when we needed her to.\n"She deserved this shutout."\nOnly her second start, this game was obviously special for Heubi, but coming against the Musketeers made the feat a little sweeter.\n"Xavier is my rival," Heubi said. "I'm from Cincinnati and I played against a lot of them in high school, so it\'s a big deal."\nAnd while Heubi kept the Xavier offense in check for 90 minutes, the Indiana midfielders and forwards dominated the Musketeers with their speed, controlling tempo, and the ball for much of the game.\n"Of their shots, there was only one that was dangerous," Kelley said. "From the very beginning, we dominated this game and that's a credit to the entire team."\nIn fact, it wasn't until after freshman Emily Hotz's second goal of the game coming in the 33rd minute of the first half that Xavier mounted its first scoring chance when Heubi made a pair of nice saves on Xavier's Annette Gruber and Margaret Broe.\nHotz helped squelch the pressure on Heubi early on when she found free space in the box in the third minute of the first half and redirected a perfect cross from Peterson past Xavier keeper Megan Veith.\n"That was big," Heubi said. "To get a goal that quick really set the tone for the entire game."\nAnd what might set the tone for the season is a supposed weakness in the IU lineup, Heubi, turned out to be a strength for 90 perfect minutes Saturday.\n"If (Heubi's) our weakness," said junior midfielder Kelly Kram, the team's returning leading scorer, "it's a great weakness"