crime & courts

Bloomington firefighter charged with child solicitation, sexual misconduct

A Bloomington firefighter was arrested for child solicitation and sexual misconduct with a minor Friday morning. The firefighter, Robert Sears, is a 20-year veteran and captain at the Bloomington Fire Department. He spent two days in the Monroe County Correctional Center.

SEARS, R.jpg
Robert Sears, a captain at the Bloomington Fire Department, was arrested for child solicitation and sexual misconduct with a minor Friday morning.   Courtesy Photo

A Bloomington Police Department detective was investigating another case involving a 14-year-old girl using the messaging app Whisper, according to a BPD press release, leading the detective to discover the inappropriate relationship with the fire captain. 

The conversations with the captain seemed to have begun in February 2018. The captain reportedly said he "worked 24 hour shifts at the fire department" and reminded the 14-year-old girl to erase their communications. 

According to the BPD release, the detective determined Sears was the one communicating and that Sears and the juvenile were likely involved in sexual activity. 

The detective, according to the release, pretended to be the the juvenile and convinced Sears he should come over to her house where he said the 14-year-old and another girl were alone. The detective told Sears to bring condoms. 

Detectives conducted surveillance of the area and noticed a truck had driven by the home twice. The detectives stopped the vehicle with Sears inside. Condoms were among the items found in the truck.

Police took Sears to BPD where officers interviewed him. According to the BPD release, he drove from his Mitchell, Indiana, home and bought condoms with the intent to have sex with one or both of the younger women.

Sears was then taken to the Monroe County Correctional Center where he stayed two days.

In a city press release, Bloomington Fire Chief Jason Moore said Sears is now under a full investigation and will be placed on administrative duties which prevent him from encountering the public until formal charges are finalized. 

After formal charges the Board of Public Safety will arrange a special session where they will review the charges, according to the press release. 

If warranted, Sears will be placed on administrative leave. Moore said in the press release he will recommend he be placed on administrative leave without pay. 

“The alleged behavior of this individual who works at the Bloomington Fire Department is not representative of our Department’s values nor overall membership,” Moore said in the release. “Our top priority is to always ensure excellent professional service to the public who place their trust in us.”