sports wrestling

Pair of IU wrestlers make the podium at Ken Kraft Midlands Championships

Sophomore Devin Skatzka takes down his opponent with a pin early in the match in the 174-pound category during the Hoosier Duals at the University Gym on Dec. 2. Skatzka finished in eighth place in the 174 lb. division at last week's 55th Ken Kraft Midlands Championships.

Impressive performances from two IU wrestlers helped the Hoosiers finish in 15th place out of 40 teams in last week's 55th Ken Kraft Midlands Championships in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.

Junior Cole Weaver finished in second place in the 141 lb. division and sophomore Devin Skatzka placed eighth in the 174 lb. division.

Weaver's runner-up finish was the best performance by an IU wrestler at the tournament since 2014, when Taylor Walsh won the 165 lb. division.

By reaching the final round of the 141 lb. division, Weaver became the ninth Hoosier to be a finalist at the Midlands Championships. Weaver lost his final match via a 7-0 decision against Mason Smith of Central Michigan. Weaver had been a perfect 5-0 during the tournament before his last match.

It was the seventh podium finish of Weaver's career, and the best tournament finish of his collegiate career. 

Skatzka went 4-3 during the tournament on his way to an eighth-place finish. This was the second podium finish for Skatzka at the Midlands Championships, as he finished in fifth place in the 174 lb. division in 2016.

IU now has eight wrestlers in program history with multiple podium finishes at the tournament.

Next for the Hoosiers is their first home Big Ten Conference dual meet of the season against No. 9 Michigan at 7:00 p.m. on Friday at the University Gym. 

Cameron Drummond