sports baseball

Sophomore pitcher Cameron Beauchamp arrested on charges of operating while intoxicated

Sophomore baseball pitcher Cameron Beauchamp was arrested early Wednesday morning on charges of operating while intoxicated and minor possession/consumption of alcohol. He is being held in the Monroe County Correctional Center on a bond of $1,000.

Sophomore IU baseball pitcher Cameron Beauchamp, 19, was arrested early Wednesday morning on charges of operating while intoxicated and minor possession/consumption of alcohol. 

He was brought to the Monroe Country Correctional Center at 1:40 a.m. Wednesday. He was kept on a 24-hour hold at the center until 1:40 a.m. Thursday morning, and then posted bond later on Thursday according to Monroe County Correctional Center officials. 

He was held on a bond of $1,000. 

IU Athletics released a statement about Beauchamp's arrest when contacted for comment.

“Indiana University and the IU baseball program are aware of the arrest of sophomore pitcher Cameron Beauchamp and are monitoring the situation," the statement said. "After gathering more facts, we will take action as the situation merits.”

Beauchamp played baseball at Peru High School in Peru, Indiana, where he was a 2016 All-State selection and a four-time All-Conference honoree. He was the No. 7 overall prospect in the state by Prep Baseball Report.

Beauchamp appeared in 17 games for IU last season, including two starts. He went 1-2 with a 4.64 earned run average. He threw a total of 21 and one-third innings for the Hoosiers.

Andrew Hussey and Cameron Drummond