New IU Coach Archie Miller embraces high expectations

IU Coach Archie Miller and IU Athletics Director Fred Glass shake hands after the press conference to announce Miller's hiring.

The vision of new IU Coach Archie Miller aligned perfectly with what IU Athletics Director Fred Glass said he wanted in the head of his men’s basketball program.

In Miller’s introductory press conference March 27, the former University of Dayton coach embraced the lofty expectations that come with the IU job.

“I don’t think you come to Indiana if you don’t want to live in the neighborhood,” Miller said.

When Glass began the search for a new coach at a press conference to announce former coach Tom Crean’s firing, he talked about how he saw IU as a program capable of winning championships. Glass said he found what he wanted in Miller, a coach who sees those goals as very 
achievable.

“The vision that we laid out when we started our search 10 days ago or whatever is the opportunity that Archie sees,” Glass said. “He embraces the expectations.”

Miller laid out his vision of the program in detail March 27.

At the foundation of the program is the history of IU — the 22 Big Ten Championships, and of course, the five National Championship banners that hung behind him during the press conference.

“Every player, every former coach, every former manager that laid the groundwork for this place to be what it is today, we owe them a lot, and our effort level and our give-back has to be really unmatched,” Miller said. “They have to feel that they’re a part of everything that we do, and our players have to feel that power.”

At the heart of Miller’s vision was his dedication to developing the current 
players.

Despite not being the man who recruited any current Hoosiers to Bloomington, Miller emphasized they’re his players now.

“We invest in everything, and they all matter right now, and I think that there is value to every single individual on our team,” Miller said.

Another side of the program Miller focused on was recruiting. Miller used the term “inside-out” when describing his strategy to bring new players to Bloomington.

He said he plans to recruit from the state of Indiana first and foremost, and will put a significant effort in getting Indiana players to stay in-state. However, he was quick to point out that they would still look outside the state to find difference makers.

Miller also said he preaches aggressive, physical and disciplined defense.

“Defensively, it’s something to take great pride in,” Miller said. “We have to become a tough, nasty team on defense.”

On the other side of the ball, Miller’s teams at Dayton have tended to push the tempo.

“Style of play for me is 
always on the run offensively,” Miller said. “I think the more we’re on the run in the full court and the half court, which means a lot of movement and a lot of pace.”

At Dayton, Miller crafted a successful program. In the past four seasons, the Flyers have made four consecutive NCAA Tournaments and made it to the Elite Eight in 2014.

Now, he hopes he can translate that success to IU.

“What we were able to accomplish at Dayton, with some tweaks, can work here, with that blueprint,” Miller said.